Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap LS3 - this is very interesting

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Gives me a bit of hope that my car can run past 160k km with no major issues lol

My L98 VE SS has a little bit of piston slap when cold for the majority of it's life and that thing still runs like a dream at 165,000 kms.
Only things it's needed in 12 years was a new alternator and battery 3 years ago at about 145k kms.
My VF SS makes the same slight piston slap noise when cold too. 80,000 kms and all good so far..........

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^^^ what do you expect from used car dealer :p Isn’t it common knowledge they’d sell their grandmothers lap rug to make a $ :oops:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

The ad is full of amazing opportunities for interpretation.

"FIRST TO SEE WILL BUY!!" - just don't use your ears.

"THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY" Legal history?! o_O

"LOTS MORE VEHICLES TO CHOOSE FROM ON-SITE........" - i.e. don't buy this one

So if its up for the same price, with another 7 months and 1200km, does that mean prices are rising!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I’ve heard of old clunkers with 4.2l and 5.0l V8’s getting >>300,000 kms without major work or engine rebuilds

My VS 5 litre had 292,xxx on it when I sold it....never opened and ran like a dream. The purchaser couldn't believe how quiet the motor was.

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98
My L98 VE SS has a little bit of piston slap when cold for the majority of it's life and that thing still runs like a dream at 165,000 kms.
Only things it's needed in 12 years was a new alternator and battery 3 years ago at about 145k kms.
My VF SS makes the same slight piston slap noise when cold too. 80,000 kms and all good so far..........

That is good news to hear mate, my 06 SS-V with the L98 has just clocked over 91k km's without any piston slap that i can hear.
Only a hint of valvetrain noise as i have removed the beautification cover and have VF2 340kw headers on it and is only noticeable when the bonnet is lifted.

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Very interesting reading all these comments about piston slap. It seems more common than I imagined. My
Ls3 has 35,000km on it and fortunately I have not heard any strange noises. Can someone tell me whether I would have heard the noise by now at 35,000km if I was going to experience this problem, or can the noise start up at any time?

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Very interesting reading all these comments about piston slap. It seems more common than I imagined. My
Ls3 has 35,000km on it and fortunately I have not heard any strange noises. Can someone tell me whether I would have heard the noise by now at 35,000km if I was going to experience this problem, or can the noise start up at any time?

yeah with that many kms I imagine it would have popped up by now. I noticed it with mine around 14,000kms.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Has anyone had their block rebored to cure the ovality and fit oversized pistons?
It would cost a bit but would be a lot nicer engine afterwards.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Has anyone had their block rebored to cure the ovality and fit oversized pistons?
It would cost a bit but would be a lot nicer engine afterwards.
the minimal error factory built production engines have wouldnt be worth the hassle just for a more round bore (LS7 and LS9 are hand built), BUT if ur rebuilding the engine anyway its a given to get it done right, each piston is measure and each cylinder is bored to suit that piston going into it, make sure crank is flat and cylinders square to the crank and deck square to the crank also, the factory blocks are a smidge out all over the place compared to a properly machined block