Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap LS3 - this is very interesting

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Unfortunately the temp meter on the dash is not a good indicator. Mine is up to temp within only a few mins of driving. My Wife BMW X3 takes ages to reach 100degress which is the normal operating temp. Its a Diesel mind you however I don't think that makes much difference. I trust that my SS is at temp when the piston slap noise is gone which takes about 10mins

Modern-ish BMWs don't actually have a coolant temperature gauge (will show a yellow warning on dash when coolant temperature is high and a red warning when temperature is critical), that temp gauge is most likely the oil temperature gauge.

For my mum's f30 328i it takes a good 10 minutes just for the oil temp to start moving from its lowest mark (70 deg C).

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Is this the stock tune or does Holden flash this for customers who complain?
totally stock tune all the LS engines have it, also the diesel engines take longer to get up to temp as diesel itself controls alot of the heat so running them lean is cooler and too rich can melt pistons

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
The oil holden tell you to run is way too thin for these motors,its all about fuel economy for holden so the thinner the better,not engine protection...
Ill be running penrite ten tenths 10w40 in my 6.0 when i get around to servicing it.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The oil holden tell you to run is way too thin for these motors,its all about fuel economy for holden so the thinner the better,not engine protection...
Ill be running penrite ten tenths 10w40 in my 6.0 when i get around to servicing it.
I once ran Penrite ten tenths full zinc 10w 40 in my L77. It didn't like it at all. I went straight back to Penrite Enviro Plus 5w40 and it loved it. Still does. 90,000k's, with plenty of tacho romping and redline gear shifts and it's still quite as a mouse.

Last edited:

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I have performace menu enabled and looking at the engine temp. The coolant gets up to 100 degrees in 5-6 min, but the engine oil temp takes at least 10-15 min to hit 100 degrees

A little off topic Ron, but I'm curious what temp yours runs at, seeing as you can see the actual coolant temp. Does it fluctuate much while driving?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Hmm, remind me not to buy a car from you :p
Buying a car from me would be the best car you would ever buy. Serviced regularly and very well looked after. My last Calias V was in mint condition. The guy loved it but screwed me on price. I see it regualry still after 2 years but he should bloody wash it.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
A little off topic Ron, but I'm curious what temp yours runs at, seeing as you can see the actual coolant temp. Does it fluctuate much while driving?

It's usually about 100 degrees. Varies by less than 5 degrees up or down depending on driving conditions/traffic

Oil temp does not fluctuate much
Usually around 105 degrees with couple degrees up or down. Never seen it go above 108 degrees..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Buying a car from me would be the best car you would ever buy. Serviced regularly and very well looked after. My last Calias V was in mint condition. The guy loved it but screwed me on price. I see it regualry still after 2 years but he should bloody wash it.
It was a joke :p;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's usually about 100 degrees. Varies by less than 5 degrees up or down depending on driving conditions/traffic

Oil temp does not fluctuate much
Usually around 105 degrees with couple degrees up or down. Never seen it go above 108 degrees..

I thought the oil temp was calculated on the VE/VF rather than an actual oil temp sensor?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I thought the oil temp was calculated on the VE/VF rather than an actual oil temp sensor?
No idea where data is pulled from...
Thats what the screen says :)