Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston Slap VT LS1

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
I bought a VT SS 5.7 not long ago, when I bought it I made sure the engine was not started before I got there so I could listen to it on a cold start, I did not hear any audible irregular sounds. However this morning at my mechanics place it was quite cold and I heard the horrid piston slap :( It disappeared after 60 secs. Is there anything I can do to reduce this?

beauzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro v2
I wouldn't worry about it mate. It may sound annoying for 5 mins but its not doing any damage. Check your cars records to see if it was recalled in its early life ( should be a placard on the inside of the driver door somewhere if it was) and if it wasn't then the engine will be fine.

My monaro does it too sometimes and I've got a mate who built ls1's and he says you could spend 1000s trying to fix it only to have it come back again in 5000ks

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
No worries, thanks for the peace of mind.

beauzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro v2
I've thought about adding extra sound deadening material to the bottom of my bonnet to reduce the noise before ,and also to stop some of the engine heat affecting the bonnet paint.
Not sure how much it will reduce the noise but it might be worth a shot if you could be bothered.

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
or just get an awesome sound system and you'll never know it existed!!! haha

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
When I start mine inside the garage you can hear it but as soon as it's outside after a minute or so it's fine doesn't use any oil and runs fine you just get used to it after awhile