Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Planning A System On A Budget

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Good write up holdenboy.

And for everyone reading it, don't forget that the products he has listed are examples only. Always shop around for bargains and find the best gear to suit your needs

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
always remember to put some money aside for some form of panel deadener!...my system sounds 10x more crisp and punchy with only my doors dynamatted........

:thumbsup:
I just used the Vinyl floor covering stuff $35.00 worth
did both doors twice over
and yes well worth the hassle putting it on the inner skin

Nofan

red cars go faster.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Executive S2
i just came up with a $700 build based off that $1000 one, except fully fusion.

Fusion CA-IP500 iPod Dock Car Tuner ($260)
Fusion EN-CM650 6.5" Split Speakerss($95)
Fusion EN-AM30020 2 Ch Car Amplifier ($127)
Fusion EN-AB1120 Active 12" Sub Enclosure ($215)

=$700

Not sure about all the electronic, will that work?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i just came up with a $700 build based off that $1000 one, except fully fusion.

Fusion CA-IP500 iPod Dock Car Tuner ($260)
Fusion EN-CM650 6.5" Split Speakerss($95)
Fusion EN-AM30020 2 Ch Car Amplifier ($127)
Fusion EN-AB1120 Active 12" Sub Enclosure ($215)

=$700

Not sure about all the electronic, will that work?

Sure it will work, but will you be happy with it once it's all purchased and installed? (remember instalation cost's too, if your not going to be doing it yourself..)
I say this because, I always reccomend to people, that if they are on a tight budget, to maybe try and focus on one section at a time, rather than trying to build a complete system within a set budget. Because if you do feel that you may become unhappy with it in the near future, and you choose to upgrade some, or even all of your components, then it's a lot of money thrown away, that could of went towards purchasing something that you would have been happier with, and kept, the first time around.

You really do get what you pay for when it comes to car audio, that being said though, if you choose to look past all the brand names when selecting your gear, it's still possible to achieve good sound, whilst sticking to the budget. For example, take your selection of front splits, add say another $50, and a set of Jaycar's range of splits becomes availbale.While Jaycar might not have the have "mainstream" brand appeal of what Fusion does, i guarantee you for both quality and sound within that price range, they will have them beat. That's just one example of spending just a small amount more, on a product that carries less of a brand name, yet still perfoms.A couple of other examples would be SPL Dynamics, and Digital Designs, both making really good entry level speakers.Personally i hate reccomending brands to people, as everyone has different opinions on the topic, but i'm just trying to give you an example, of how you can better spend your money...

Nofan, if you have a bit of a read through this thread that HoldenBoy has written up, you'll notice several times, how he has tried to explain that your front speakers, are going to the most important part of your entire build up. In the setup that you've listed, you've actually chosen to spend the least amount in this area...And i can't stress this enough, do take your time with it, and do as much research as you can. Know the gear your buying. Know what you want out of a build up, and know what's needed to achieve it.

BTW HoldenBoy, i didn't mean for my first paragraph to sound like it was dissagreaing with the entire thread topic of "planning a system on a budget" by reccomending that he do it bit by bit;)Like the thread say's planning on a budget, if your plans, or what you would really like, exceed your current budget, then don't buy things just for sake of buying them.

Last edited:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
No problems VP, i will probably go back through it one day and add an option of "planning a system step by step" section too, as i totally agree with your suggestions.

VY.abercrombie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S soon to be SS
planning a system step by step sounds good to me :)

Longy188

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
step by step for sure, as you have said buy the right stuff the first time, i learned that in my first car ended up replacing the fronts and the h/u and adding an amp best decision i ever made.
wicked thread holdenboy will help me out heaps when planning the system for my VZ SV6
cheers

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Good to hear, im just abit lost on how i should do this "step by step" addition.....i mean the whole point of the thread is to plan / buy a system on a budget, also basically knowing what youre looking for when you go into a store. Any suggestions are appreciated as always ;)

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I don't think their is really a need for a "step by step" guide, because i think it's pretty self expanitaory. The idea of the thread, was to give people an idea, on the type of setup they could achieve within a set budget. For new people to get some idea's, on about how they should spend their money, and what to expect.

Obviously, if what you really want is a flip out, touch screen, DVD player, then there's no real point in spending a few hundred dollars buying and installing a head unit for the mean time, and then replacing it when you have enough money..Same goes with the remaining components.I'm one of those people who learnt the hard way, and threw away so much money, if only i had saved it, done some research, and took my time......

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah VP i sorta gave up on the step by step idea.....after thinking more abut it theres no real point. If you wanna do it step by step then look at the $2000 system and buy the components one at a time ;)