Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Planning A System On A Budget

m05tw4nt3d

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV WAGON
kicker ks 6930 6x9s

hi guys im thinking about buying these to run off my amp the amps putting out 70 rhms per channel what do you think

also does anyone have these or heard theses, im going to jb later and will listen to them on there display but has anyone heard them in a car?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
hi guys im thinking about buying these to run off my amp the amps putting out 70 rhms per channel what do you think

also does anyone have these or heard theses, im going to jb later and will listen to them on there display but has anyone heard them in a car?

I've used a set of these myself, about a year ago, from memory i paid $160ish.At the time i wanted a set of speakers purely for volume, and i didn't have the time or the knowledge to fabricate something to house a decent set of front speakers, so i simply disconected the factory 4 inch dash speakers, and ran the 6x9's in the rear shelf. I ran them at 100hz of 150rms per channel. Kind of defeating the purpose of being a 6x9 running them so high, but they did go very loud. I never played around that much with them on pull pass, because i was running a sub at the time.

I'm not sure what their worth new today, but for the money, they are quite good.

NanoBear

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive wagon (soon)
Thanks for the guide holdenboy. Didn't have much of an idea what to look for before this.

I'm looking somewhere between the $500 and $1000. When I eventually get around to doing it, its going into a wagon. Is there anything special to think about when putting together a system for a wagon? Only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that the rear speakers are even less important.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Youre exactly right, ive got Response 6.5" splits in the rear (just something i had lying around) and i rarely hear them, only when im at the back of the car with the tailgate open.

Nothing else really, getting good bass output from subs in a wagon is easier than a sedan....so you get more "bass for buck" in a wagon ;)

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
OK well ive fixed up the links so they all now work (as of 23/4/10).

Will check back every few months and update etc.

Bryce_VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Not sure where to post this..

I got a Pioneer TS-W304C for free the other day, with a 200 watt Jensen amp. Anyone know anything about these amps or this sub?

Last edited:

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Ok so i have been thinking about upgrading the audio in my 09 omega for a wile now but on a bit of a budget (uni student). I have a decent understanding of electronics and quite a bit of free time so i will be doing any installs myself. Because it is a ve replacing the head unit is not an option so that reduces the cost somewhat.
What do you all think of this?
"Soundstream LW4.500 Lil Wonder - 4 Ch Amplifier" (Because it has a high level input hence no LOC needed and relative bang for buck)
"Sony XSGTX1620S 6" Split Speakers" (To replace the driver and passenger speakers)
"Pioneer TS-W303R 12" 1200W Subwoofer - 4 Ohm" or "Clarion SW1251 700W 12" Subwoofer"
Which sub should i go for?
Also what gauge wire is needed?

PS: thanks for this thread it has been very useful

madmaskbass

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl V8 wagon
great thread....i REALLY wish i had read something like this when i started buying audio gear...i have just bought a new car and the ONLY thing that i have kept from the whole system is the amp and rear components..upgraded everything else...and the amp also needs upgrading i bought rubbish the first time made it sound OKAY.. install is being done today cannot wait to hear all the awesome gear..would be in the 1500 range

i loved the peice of advice about looking for other brands and of course researching and heeding great advice like this will always make a system that much better!!

the more research you do the more it all starts to sound exactly the same..as has been summed up here

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
How often do places like "Autobarn" and such have large one evening type sales?

Recently I picked up a Clarion CZ101A head unit for $90 [nothing to write home about, I know] and 2 sets of Pioneer TS-G1643R 6 inch 2 way speakers for $29-marked down from $80 each, all up coming to just under $150 all up from my local Autobarn.
It was a one evening, from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm sale and basically everything was considerably marked down. Was this just a lucky break that I happened to find out about the sale a few days beforehand or do similar events happen quite regularly?
Moral of the story is that you can get $250 worth of stuff for $150, if you shop around and/or have a lucky break. Add in $65 for head unit installation into a VS Commodore and you have a system with change from $250-installing the speakers is a pinch so no need to pay for that to be done.

Out of curiosity, what is the rationale behind having the better speakers in the back on the $500 system and the better speakers in the front on the $1,000 system?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
More expensive 6x9s on the $500 budget are to compensate for not being able to afford a subwoofer in that price range.