Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plasterers - How hard to install feature wall inserts?

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Hello again,
I'm seeking opinions from DIY'ers and Plasterers to see how hard it is to install the following:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/romak-600-x-450mm-off-white-steel-wall-insert-niche_p0730136

I'm thinking of have 3 in the hallway (in the one wall) separated by the studs with a small 5w LED in the top (Colour changing - have already found suitable LED's)
and 2 in the lounge room, one either side of the doorway.

How hard are these to install? where I want them there's no electrical or plumbing in the walls, so I'm hoping its a case of cut plaster, fit product, nail or screw to timber (Hardwood if it matters) and bog/plaster the metal edges into the wall.
Whole house is getting painted, and I'm fixing what seems to be 20 odd years of damage to the walls, so if I stuff it up, it'll probably just look like all the other repairs lol.

I'm doing this mainly to "update" the house internally (was built '81) and to "open" up the hallway/entrance way a little. Am planning on painting wall as a dark grey "feature wall" with the others walls a very,very light grey.
Can get pics if it helps.

If its too hard, I'll stop dreaming.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I haven't used those before but they look like a piece of piss to do. Much easier than the traditional method we use, external angles on the outside, internal angle or paper tape on the inside. I'd imagine all you'd need to do is cut the hole, block it out with some timber, slip the insert in, staple the set bead and then set the angles.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I haven't used those before but they look like a piece of piss to do. Much easier than the traditional method we use, external angles on the outside, internal angle or paper tape on the inside. I'd imagine all you'd need to do is cut the hole, block it out with some timber, slip the insert in, staple the set bead and then set the angles.

yah what he said

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Only thing to look out for is check the other side of the wall for electrical points, so you don't hit/interfere with a power cable

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Only thing to look out for is check the other side of the wall for electrical points, so you don't hit/interfere with a power cable

bahahaha, brings back soo many memories from using core drills for installing stuff in the electrical industry.
best advice ever is to look on the other side, itll surprise you what you think isn't there.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Thanks for all the reply's guys!
I was hoping it would be pretty easy, I've checked the locations in the wall for power - can see it all up in the roof.
Electrician has been in and is willing to wire it all, since he has to move the light switch off the architrave soon anyway.

Just gonna triple check the noggin is not in the way, don't wanna cut the wall - and have it staring me in the face like a giant slap about to happen.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Thanks for all the reply's guys!
I was hoping it would be pretty easy, I've checked the locations in the wall for power - can see it all up in the roof.
Electrician has been in and is willing to wire it all, since he has to move the light switch off the architrave soon anyway.

Just gonna triple check the noggin is not in the way, don't wanna cut the wall - and have it staring me in the face like a giant slap about to happen.

If there is a noggin in the way, just move it. Easy peasey.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Pffft - just break out the recipro. It'll sort itself out in the end :thumbsup: