Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plastic Engine Covers on Vs

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
I guess this has been dealt with before many time but I would like to know if the those clip-on plastic covers over the rocker covers on Vs actually do something or are they there just for looks. I seems to me, if anything, they would reduce the cooling of the top of the engine - probably not a good thing in Australia.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
Yeah it's all just cosmetic and they do hold the heat in aswell, I've seen a dyno sheet of an LS1 before and after the engine covers were taken off and there was a 3kw power increase due to less heat soak with them off, hows that for a cheap engine mod.

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Toa said:
Yeah it's all just cosmetic and they do hold the heat in aswell, I've seen a dyno sheet of an LS1 before and after the engine covers were taken off and there was a 3kw power increase due to less heat soak with them off, hows that for a cheap engine mod.

Imagine throwing away 3kW of bragging power for what some marketing geek thinks looks good. A bit of chrome and black enamel would look way better.