Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plastic Seat Housing - Snapped!

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I tried fibreglass resining mine back together on the VY, (same) but it broke again after two days or so. Then I found a thread on here where someone had zippy-tied it through the plastic that is left where it broke and around the seat frame. Quite fiddly, but finally got it near as good as before. Then had to file the back of the little plug a bit to get it back in, with a small dob of super glue.
And yes, from memory the recliner knob does pop off with a screwdriver.

Tania R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
i got the same problem what do u call this plasic thingamagic so i dont feel like a real fool trying to explain this plastic thing

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It is quite possible to repair this trim permanently. I've done it. The long mounting tab on the front breaks off and the bottom of the central tubular mounting cracks. Both are easy to repair and make stronger than the original set-up. I'm a mean bugger and refuse to pay nearly $40 for a new part which will suffer exactly the same breakage somewhere down the track, expecially when my existing trim is in otherwise perfect condition.

I made up a small metal "L" bracket that matches the length and angle of the original long tab. It was araldited to the tab and the trim, then a short dome shaped bolt and nut was used to retain the tab to the trim as well as the araldite. The head of the bolt can be seen from outside the seat but it can be touched up with a brush and paint to merge it into the trim.

The tubular mounting can be repaired by cleaning the broken off end of the tube, then aralditing a nut with inbuilt washer to the end of the tube, with the washer acting as a mounting flange for the trim against the seat frame. Before gluing the nut in place, thread a screw into it so that the thread protrudes inside the tube by about 13mm. Pour the araldite into the tube and let it harden. Remove the screw from the nut after the araldite has hardened so that a mounting screw can be run through it. Replace the trim using the factory mounting screws.

Two years since this repair, the seat trim remains in place on my car and I'm no featherweight. $40 + saved for about an hour's work and it's more solid than the new replacement part.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Sure you weren't born before the Great Depression?:rofl2:

Not quite sure whether you are being sarcastic or not. The truth is, I've always believed in making something work again if I can. I really couldn't give a continental whether someone forks over money to buy a new part or a used one. Early posts in this thread gave the impression this part either can't be permanently fixed or it isn't worth trying. I proved, to myself at least, that both opinions are wrong. I've got a perfectly good and solid seat cover and kept the forty bucks. Seems like "win-win" to me.