Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plastic Trim Painting

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Haha textured paint, does the can come with a textured spray nozzle I hear you thinking.

You would think the texture is part of the injection moulding surface :)

On early Commodores the texture is in the painting process, not in the plastic from the mould. I have taken paint off them before, when I repainted a VR trim, that's how I know.
There is some way they paint them which causes the texture. Whether that is the paint type or machine IDK.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
On early Commodores the texture is in the painting process, not in the plastic from the mould. I have taken paint off them before, when I repainted a VR trim, that's how I know.
There is some way they paint them which causes the texture. Whether that is the paint type or machine IDK.
Sounds like you sanded off the texture in the plastic when you repainted fresh colour if black plastic

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds like you sanded off the texture in the plastic when you repainted fresh colour if black plastic
That's a negative I just wiped them with some solvent.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
That's a negative I just wiped them with some solvent.
you never put any solvent on plastic components, its a no no
If you need to wipe impurities off plastic, just use a safe cheap product like window/glass cleaner, even safe to use on parts before painting.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Thread dig.

Converting my Calais to manual. Colour 23i Steel Blue. Since its impossible to modify the auto insert to look factory, I'm going to change the console and radio surround to the lower grade one. That way I can simply purchase the manual insert from Rare Spares.

I'll probably end up with a less than ideal console that I need to paint. A few posts on FB seem to suggest they come up mint with plastic primer and a colour matched vinyl paint spray can. The texture seems to be in the plastic itself.

Will post updates on progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know with my VR the dash panels had the texture in the paint. I wiped it off with a chemical and ended up with a smooth surface. Painting it also took out the texture.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I only painted the trims which were part of the radio console. The one that held the clip in trim had some sort of textured paint which came off with wax & grease remover.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
I only painted the trims which were part of the radio console. The one that held the clip in trim had some sort of textured paint which came off with wax & grease remover.
Have you got a pic of the part? I'll be dirty with myself if i screw something up hah.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll probably need to get the radio surround and some of my existing 23i stuff colour matched.

Is it just as simple as taking it in to a paint shop for a fee and then finding a place that can use the codes?

A have called a couple of places up here and they refuse to have anything to do with supplying paint for plastics and vinyl.