Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plastic Trims UV stabilised?

Cbillyr

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY14 VF SV6 Ute MY17 VFII SS Ute
Plastic upper and lower grille surrounds for Vf's come supplied unpainted as "Pitch Black" raw polished black plastic saying they need to be painted to match.
I was told by my local Holden spare parts guy that they're not UV stabilized so it's highly recommended to paint them...
So if I want them black can I install them unpainted or or they going to break down in the sun and heat and become brittle and break easy. But being grille surrounds it's not like they move, so....

Anyone have experience in not painting and having problems?

Ta in advance

DC

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If they are not UV stabilised as you’ve been told, they will quickly crumble to dust... Who knows, maybe it’ll take one hot summer or it may take 5 or more years...

Heck, even if they are UV stabilised, manufacturers employ the best engineers and material scientists to ensure that by a specific time frame, these plastic parts will crumble to dust... Again who knows exactly but plastics usually start to have issues after a decade or more...

Do yourself a favour and just paint the part as recommended :p