Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Playing CDs

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport
Probably been discussed somewhere, but have been unable to find the answer.
My uncle has a VF SS and I need an answer as to how he can play CDs through this thing. He has no internet/no computer/no smart phone (full country bumpkin) so he has now resorted to dropping past with a pile of CDs every now and then. I tried an external USB DVD drive to no avail. Will he need a whole new head unit or what? Any ideas?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If he doesn't have a drive, then yeah he'll need another head unit. Unsure how well that's going to work, though, as there's no exposed face of the stereo unit like there used to be; nowhere a CD slot will go.
Or I guess he might be able to fit a stacker in the boot? Maybe near the battery? There's an AUX input, but you'd need a remote control to run it.

Or fit a pre-2015 head unit & dash/console to match?

Forum_Lurker

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Or put his music onto a USB stick, multiple ones if necessary. You just have to convert his CDs to mp3s and copy them to the USB drive(s).

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VF had the CD slot.
That didn't occur to me ... it's a VF2 isn't it? The problem isn't that he doesn't know where the CD loading-slot is, is it?!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The CD slot isn't real obvious maybe it's there and you're missing it.

I think from memory it's just above the HVAC controls. Under the screen.

VPbomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX clubsport
Ha, nah it's new S2... no CD drive. He spoke to the dealership after he bought it. Was hoping there was some patch/upgrade in software that could play a USB drive CD player like on laptops. Okay, I'll suss out S1 head unit or stacker options.
Cheers guys

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
load all his music onto a USB flash drive and be done with it - a nice big one.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ That's a total PITA job, even if you're torrenting (copies of stuff you already own) ... I mean it's better than when I first ripped my CD collection & drives were only 4x, but still ...

Can you get a portable player that's small enough to fit in the centre storage-bin thingy under the armrest? There's an analogue aux input in there, isn't there?

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
^ That's a total PITA job, even if you're torrenting (copies of stuff you already own) ... I mean it's better than when I first ripped my CD collection & drives were only 4x, but still ...

If you use iTunes it's very easy - just insert cd, click 2x buttons and the cd's loaded. Then just buy a cheap ipod to hold the music, that way you only need to click 1 more button to load all music onto it.

Thats what I currently play my music with as my car is within my wifi range so I can update my ipod wirelessly.