Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jessi Meekin

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Holden Commodore
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

So I’m wanting to get an OBD1 BLUETOOTH/WIFI scanner for my 1992 VP Holden Commodore. I’ve been told I have a 6 pin adapter located where the glove box is and that an OBD2 scanner won’t work in my car as it’s fairly old...
I’ve been looking on eBay and so far I’ve had no luck finding an OBD1! I’ve been having so much trouble with my poor old girl lately, I just want to know what’s wrong with her so badly!
Moved my car to my new house (1 hour trip), 15 minutes into the drive and it started going real sluggish as if it were losing all power on acceleration, slowed right down even with accelerator all the way to floor. I usually run my vp on 98 but I was low on money and it had to be moved... about half way i stopped and put 91 in it... by then I was well and truly pulling over on the side of the road every 2 mins to turn it off, worked as a very minor temporary solution. I also noticed the temperature was rising to half way, then slowly started decreasing and going back up again. There was a weird noise coming from either underneath the bonnet or fuel tank, couldn’t really tell... My A/C doesn’t work and it’s apparently a $1,000 fix and even then I got told they aren’t able to do some bullshiet to it cause it’s too old, don’t remember exactly what was said lol.... my battery just **** itself, 2 front electric windows don’t work fuses keep blowing after being replaced. Dash lights on speedo don’t work, back left indicator doesn’t work anymore.
If someone could PLEASE tell me if an OBD2 will work?!?! Can I get an ALDL scanner?
Thank you for any information you can give me!!!

Jessi Meekin

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Holden Commodore
0ACA5184-829B-48F1-B738-1A67766E18C5.jpeg
9C3FAC65-80AE-44D4-9555-B9BBFCF54C39.jpeg

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
might well pay to bite the bullet and get a mechanic to plug a scanner in to see what is wrong , nice car by the way , and welcome in to the forum .

Jessi Meekin

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Holden Commodore
Not if I can do it myself and save a fortune. It’s been sitting for 3 years.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
You don't need a scanner, only helpful if there is fault codes logged. My suggestion would be to give it a good service first. If it's been sitting for 3 years it probably has water in the fuel tank from condensation as well as stale fuel. Empty the tank, put a new fuel filter on then refill with fresh fuel (91 ron is fine), Oil & filter change, air filter, spark plugs. Reverse flush the cooling system & replace coolant. Then see how it drives after that.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Not if I can do it myself and save a fortune. It’s been sitting for 3 years.

OK , as it's been sitting for a while , I would as above , drain the fuel , replace the fuel filter , and put fresh fuel in , change the plugs , change the oil and filter .

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
OBD2 won't work, check the forums and use the paper clip method to read the codes, if any, from the CEL
Sounds like you need to do the basics to get it running right.
Fuel pressure check, and a look at the colour of the exhaust tip would not go astray.
A/C can be expensive to recitfy but well worth the money.