Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help guys, powertrain warning light drives me mad!!!

ScufVZwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX8
Hey mate I got the power train warning up yesterday. Guna take her in tomorrow

Commy SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SV6 A5
ScufVZwags, get the codes scanned and ask to see the codes or ask them to provide the codes to you. If the code(s) is/are emissions/catalytic converters/post-cat o2 sensors related, you have 3 options:
- replace the sensors ( if they are confirmed to be buggered )
- replace the cats ( must be genuine Holden otherwise the light will come back on again as the o2 sensors will sense something is different and will get their mates ECU to turn the annoying warning light to come back on ). My cats were the culprit and I took a shortcut by putting an aftermarket cats there and the light did come back on!!! Please learn from my mistake!
- save your money if you dont wanna go with genuine cats, get aftermarket cats or even better replace the full exhaust system with a performance one and buy these "spark plug non-foulers"
please click on the link below if you not sure what they are. This modification is very popular in USA as their emissions law are really strict compare to ours in NSW lol. I wish I would've found out about this earlier, this would've saved me a LOT of time and MONEY.

Here is the link for more info on these "spark plug non-foulers" to trick your post-cat o2 sensors:
Custom Exhaust: Tricking the Post-Cat O2 Sensor - JDM Universe.com

As for myself I am going to get a cat back exhaust system done soon, and still weighing up the option of getting an ECU tune to disable the post-cat o2 sensors reading (not cheap) or do the cheap and quick fix as per the link above.

Oh one more thing guys, should I go with 2.5 inch single cat back or 2 1/4 inch dual cat back? Not really after a mad performance gain, just want to get a better noise from the exhaust when I "open" her up and not too loud when idling/cruising.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

ozteel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder S 6spd
Hey mate had same problem and it was due to my thermostat sticking and a crack in my manifold gasket.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
Took the car to an independent garage as per my previous post above, they done the checks and said that my cat converters are stuffed due to E10 fuel Ive been using in the last 2 years.Will let everyone knows next week!

lol why would you use e10... its cheaper but you use more fuel when you run e10.. so really your paying more. and you pay even more when compenents f*ck up

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
i came across this too " check powertrain" message on my Wl Stato
my fix was the coilpacks that sit directly over the plugs.
try having a look at them, mine were torn at the bottom which triggered this msg on the dash.
also if the coilpacks arent plugged in correctly (full contact with wires) it will also triiger that msg. but youll be able to click them in and out with the manifold on top.
the engine will shake dramatically if one of the coils wasnt plugged in all the way thou.
give it a go its not too hard to pull of the manifold.
there may be a different cause for yours but its worth a try.
Goodluck
let us know

ricy_12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
my old man's work car had the same problem, after replacing the radiator it was found the fault was the water pump and it needed replacing

VZSV6pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I had the same issue although all it was a matter of , was replacing both oxygen sensors on exhaust/ manifold. if you have replaced both, + had holden run a diagnostic you may have to go down the 'gasket replacement' road.

Dan_86

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ CALAIS 6.0LV8/A4 L76
Hey mate i have a Vz Calais 6L & when i bought it from holden the previous owner put an aftermarket exhaust & didnt extend the wiring properly. I know what your talking about with the holden service centre/s.

So after getting dicked around I finally took my car to sams performance @ padstow & after plugging the laptop, they put genuine xforce extensions & O2 sensors & my engine light hasnt come back since & the car runs like a dream.

So if your car has an aftermarket exhaust check the wiring to your sensors because that could be your problem (one of my sensors wiring had been melted against the gearbox casing & one of the soilder joints fell apart in my hand)!!!.

I put shell 95 octane fuel in the car & it made a huge difference compared to V-power which is what i normally put in the tank. Don't compromise on the fuel you use even if it cost a bit more. Hope that helps

Thesickness86

Thesickness86
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Ve ute
Has the prob been solved mate? I had the same thing in my v6 vz. And had a huge f*** around. It ended up being the 'personal Interface module' (PIM) and the 'transmission control module' (TCM). After that got fixed it never came back