Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PLease help. Ignition diagnostics (V6)

V6025

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Hey guys, not sure if i'm doing this right or not as i've never been on a forum site before.
I've posted my problem twice already but havent gotbany replies to either.

So i'm not sure if i'm doing it right?
Nobody can answer my questions?
Or no one is interested cause i'm new to this site?

I cant see it being the latter cause i've seen other first posts answered. Well it would be pretty ordinary if it was. Lol.

Anyway i'll try again.
I have a 1998 5 speed Vt.
Last week i had a fault code 48 come up. Cam sensor.
Car was running rough and back firing in between gear changing from 2nd to 3rd.
Replaced the crank angle sensor and the backfire went away. But when i put my foot down acceleration was poor but if i eased it up gently the car would cruise along.
(Sometimes you wouldnt think there was a problem at all)
But i could feel all wasnt well.
"We all know how are ride feels"
And when its having a bad moment.
So i bridged the fault plug and 48 came up. Cam sensor.
Used a mutimeter and found groud ithimknits called on the connector and battery voltage but know signal wire voltage.
Tested the crank sensor connector all as it should be. The cam and crank sensors share two spiced wires from the dfi module. SORRY ITS A NOVEL. But i'm really stuck.
Can anyone help as i cant get an auto electrican to come out to where i am.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey guys, not sure if i'm doing this right or not as i've never been on a forum site before.
I've posted my problem twice already but havent gotbany replies to either.

So i'm not sure if i'm doing it right?
Nobody can answer my questions?
Or no one is interested cause i'm new to this site?

I cant see it being the latter cause i've seen other first posts answered. Well it would be pretty ordinary if it was. Lol.

Anyway i'll try again.
I have a 1998 5 speed Vt.
Last week i had a fault code 48 come up. Cam sensor.
Car was running rough and back firing in between gear changing from 2nd to 3rd.
Replaced the crank angle sensor and the backfire went away. But when i put my foot down acceleration was poor but if i eased it up gently the car would cruise along.
(Sometimes you wouldnt think there was a problem at all)
But i could feel all wasnt well.
"We all know how are ride feels"
And when its having a bad moment.
So i bridged the fault plug and 48 came up. Cam sensor.
Used a mutimeter and found groud ithimknits called on the connector and battery voltage but know signal wire voltage.
Tested the crank sensor connector all as it should be. The cam and crank sensors share two spiced wires from the dfi module. SORRY ITS A NOVEL. But i'm really stuck.
Can anyone help as i cant get an auto electrican to come out to where i am.
Wha is the dfi plug pins like? Are they burnt or corrided? Are the pins straight?
Have you replaced the dfi & coils?
Acceleration poor, that could be leads or plugs on there way out?

Welcome to the forum too.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
assuming a v6
the cam and crank signals feed the dfi module ,located under the coils
as lex mentioned the plug connector is known to be a weak point
a bit more history may help
how long have you owned car and when did this start
was crank sensor oem quality or super cheap

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No, you have posted correctly, however you seem to have quiet a unique problem.

Have moved the thread to the VT/VX section.

The Cam sensor and the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) share both the power supply and ground from the DFI module. Not long ago someone on a different forum was having ignition troubles and everything tested fine but it still ran like crap. In the end changing the Cam Sensor fixed the issue. I believe he even had a scope on it trying to trace the fault.

In the end the only thing conclusion we could come to was that a faulty cam sensor was dragging the voltage down enough on the CAS to cause the poor running.

I've also seen a case where there was oil in the CAS plug and the car would randomly cut out and not run.

Reactions: Lex

V6025

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Wha is the dfi plug pins like? Are they burnt or corrided? Are the pins straight?
Have you replaced the dfi & coils?
Acceleration poor, that could be leads or plugs on there way out?

Welcome to the forum too.
Hey Lex, thankyou for the reply and the welcome too .Cheers mate.
The DFI pins are great cond. I'm thinking of tightening the harness connectors tomorrow very hard at the moment in S.A. Were bogged down in shitloads of rain, so its been stop start, stop start B.S.
I've replaced the DFI Mod& Coil packs, delphi, Alternator, Tps, delphi, plugs, and just replaced tne plug leads but havent tested it since i found the 48 fault code.
I need to trace the non existent voltage to cam sensor signal wire.
The connectors were cracked and split on the cam and crank sensors. So i replaced that section of wiring also.

Reactions: Lex

V6025

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
assuming a v6
the cam and crank signals feed the dfi module ,located under the coils
as lex mentioned the plug connector is known to be a weak point
a bit more history may help
how long have you owned car and when did this start
was crank sensor oem quality or super cheap
Hey lout.No not supercheap all genuine parts. I also replaced the plugs. NGK. Yes V6 had thecar for about 8yrs has ran superb especially with the 5 speed . Rock en roll.
Not much i've come up against has give a decent equal. If you know what i mean. Lol.
Until now. She's hurtin.

V6025

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
No, you have posted correctly, however you seem to have quiet a unique problem.

Have moved the thread to the VT/VX section.

The Cam sensor and the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) share both the power supply and ground from the DFI module. Not long ago someone on a different forum was having ignition troubles and everything tested fine but it still ran like crap. In the end changing the Cam Sensor fixed the issue. I believe he even had a scope on it trying to trace the fault.

In the end the only thing conclusion we could come to was that a faulty cam sensor was dragging the voltage down enough on the CAS to cause the poor running.

I've also seen a case where there was oil in the CAS plug and the car would randomly cut out and not run.
Hey immortality, yeah i've heard the oil , bad sensor, but the sensor doesent come into play at the moment cause theres no voltage at the signal wire to run the cam sensor.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Crank Angle Sensor and Cam Sensor share the power supply from the DFI, they also share the same ground. If the CAS has power and Cam sensor does not than it would suggest a wiring fault.

Attached is the wiring diagram for the VT V6.

Also note that the cam does only 1 turn for every 2 turns of the crank and the cam sensor only triggers once per revolution of the cam. Unfortunately I don't know if the cam signal is signal high or signal low. The cam signal works with a magnet fixed in the cam sprocket. To test you could probably remove the cam sensor from the timing cover and use a reasonably strong magnet to see if that activates the cam sensor.

Attachments

• 5a.pdf
    393.4 KB · Views: 147