Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PLease help. Ignition diagnostics (V6)

V6025

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
He was asking what the problem was?
For users of the forum, in the future trying to work out what is wrong with their car.
I get that Lex!!! I didnt have time today to cover it all. Was going to do that tonight. Dont have all day to dick around on here. I was thanking him for his time.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I get that Lex!!! I didnt have time today to cover it all. Was going to do that tonight. Dont have all day to dick around on here. I was thanking him for his time.
All good. I just thought l would put my 2 c in for future users of the forum. ;) :) :cool:

V6025

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
What was the problem I couldn't find anything where you said what you replaced to sort it out?
Hey losh, now i have a bit more time on my hands i'll tell how i sorted my problem out.
It all started cause of a cam sensor fault code 48. I could'nt find any voltage for the signal wire but had battery voltage to the other side.
I also had continuity up to the DFI Harness. But the wiring was in a shocking state of cracks and being brittle. Caused i think primarily from heat and age.

Anyway after soldering new sensor plugs on. I thought that may fix my problem? But didnt.
Lex. Sent me something to read about the DFI Harness wire locations and what wire did what on v6 Engines and after reading that very interesting material. Something didnt sit right with how my wiring was and what this explanation was telling me.
After some time the penny dropped. It said that. The brown E wire on the harness. Belonged to the tacho signal but the CAM signal wire on my lume was going there.
While i'm writing this book. Lol.
I'll also say that i've owned this car. A 98 VT. For about 8 or 9yrs and it's ran pretty good. But never had a working tacho. (Someone once told me) If i replaced the instrument cluster thats the only and easiest way that it would work again. Well i'm glad i never went that route. Cause it turns out the clown that owned the car before me added a piece of lume at about level where the thermostat housing was. They had just been twitched up and taped then tape wound to look like the rest of the lume. Only they had mixed up the brown wires, sending the CAM Signal wire to the tahco E and the Tacho Signal wire to the CAM F. The wires from bottom of the lume. Had that many breaks and joins i decided to just add a whole new chunk of lume to the existing lume join up the matching wires and wholla!!
But **** never seems to work out that easy? (Not in my world) Anyway.
After continuity testing all the wires i found that some wires didnt match up with some wires. And asked if anyone had wiring diagrams, cause the ones i had didnt make sense. So to cut a long long long story shorter. I couldnt wait any longer cause my car has been off the road to long now and i'm sick of having to walk everywhere i divided the lume in half and just used the CAM,CRANK andKNOCK sensors, theDFI Harness. Swapped the two brown wires over and PROBLEMO SOLVERED.My VT lives AGAIN.
I hope your still all awake? Lol.
I'm no sparky by any stretch. Just persistance and never giving up saved the day. Big,Big thankyou to everyone who replied to my problems. Fantastic site. Cheereers

V6025

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Hey losh, now i have a bit more time on my hands i'll tell how i sorted my problem out.
It all started cause of a cam sensor fault code 48. I could'nt find any voltage for the signal wire but had battery voltage to the other side.
I also had continuity up to the DFI Harness. But the wiring was in a shocking state of cracks and being brittle. Caused i think primarily from heat and age.

Anyway after soldering new sensor plugs on. I thought that may fix my problem? But didnt.
Lex. Sent me something to read about the DFI Harness wire locations and what wire did what on v6 Engines and after reading that very interesting material. Something didnt sit right with how my wiring was and what this explanation was telling me.
After some time the penny dropped. It said that. The brown E wire on the harness. Belonged to the tacho signal but the CAM signal wire on my lume was going there.
While i'm writing this book. Lol.
I'll also say that i've owned this car. A 98 VT. For about 8 or 9yrs and it's ran pretty good. But never had a working tacho. (Someone once told me) If i replaced the instrument cluster thats the only and easiest way that it would work again. Well i'm glad i never went that route. Cause it turns out the clown that owned the car before me added a piece of lume at about level where the thermostat housing was. They had just been twitched up and taped then tape wound to look like the rest of the lume. Only they had mixed up the brown wires, sending the CAM Signal wire to the tahco E and the Tacho Signal wire to the CAM F. The wires from bottom of the lume. Had that many breaks and joins i decided to just add a whole new chunk of lume to the existing lume join up the matching wires and wholla!!
But **** never seems to work out that easy? (Not in my world) Anyway.
After continuity testing all the wires i found that some wires didnt match up with some wires. And asked if anyone had wiring diagrams, cause the ones i had didnt make sense. So to cut a long long long story shorter. I couldnt wait any longer cause my car has been off the road to long now and i'm sick of having to walk everywhere i divided the lume in half and just used the CAM,CRANK andKNOCK sensors, theDFI Harness. Swapped the two brown wires over and PROBLEMO SOLVERED.My VT lives AGAIN.
I hope your still all awake? Lol.
I'm no sparky by any stretch. Just persistance and never giving up saved the day. Big,Big thankyou to everyone who replied to my problems. Fantastic site. Cheereers
P.S. i now a car that runs great again and also i have a working CAM and Tacho.