Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help me with my ongoing saga

impakt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S pack
hey all, i really need some help eith my ongoing engine dramas. i recently had a recon motor into my car, and it wasn't cheap. i never felt really pleased from the guy that did it, felt he was just fobbing me off.
now its been running fine, but not as smooth or powerfully as you'd think a full recon would.
i took the car down to automasters for a completely different issue, fuel tank issues, and thought it might be a good idea to have the motor just checked over by a third party as its still under warranty.
He's come back to me and questioned why theres the extra sensor on the front just below the water pump(pic 1), and also commented that after road testing the vehicle that the return hose to the surge tank from the intake manifold is cold(pic 2). He also commented that the car felt 'gutless for a vn'.
I've also wondered bout the manifold gaskets since i've had the car back(pic 3). don't look right to me.
So i got talking with the automasters bloke and he made the point that it may be a later series engine, maybe vr non ecotech, with the vn intake manifold bolted on. Does this look like it to anyone else?
If it is, could the manifold and the ports not be lining up properly.
Basically, have i been shafted by geoff kendrick with a dodgy recon. Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated so i can go back to him with ammo.
Cheers in advance

Attachments

• CIMG0528.JPG
    CIMG0528.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 245
  • CIMG0532.JPG
    CIMG0532.JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 249
  • CIMG0530.JPG
    CIMG0530.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 250

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
i reckon you got a vr for sure you can see the cam sensor in pic one but that shoudnt be the problem the problem i think is that hes put the vn heads and manifold on wrong

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ok, vr bottom end or vr timing case, the heads are vn s1 and so is the manifold, hes just used vn s2/vr gaskets, thats not a problem.

id say he used a vr bottom end and vn top(heads, intake) as the vn s1 plumbing is a bit different to s2-vr. easier for hm to chuck s1 top on than to change all the hoses and stuff.

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
go back and have a chat

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Yep im agreeing with everybody else that has been bodgied up real bad. Pretty much kept all the old vn gear and just used the VR bottom end as stated..

Id go back to him and ask for all the remaining VR items aswell..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Those manifold gaskets are the only ones you can buy from Holden now, they suit all models but on the VN they hang out a bit. Don't worry everything else in the gaskets is the same. Not sure what's up with the performance not being there but the engine looks fine from the outside, also if the engine is still very new it will get faster as it loosen up a bit and no buick v6 is smooth:)

impakt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S pack
thanks for the speedy relpies. suppose i've gotta go see if he'll admit to mismatching the parts. i'm hoping the only reason the top hose isn't heating up is because they're just blocked inside the manifold.
So from what everyones said, if its a vr bottom end with vn heads, manifold and plumbing, its not a problem?
Should be sweet?

impakt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S pack
Also any one that can help, bit off topic, but when i bought the car sometime in its life the heater core has shat itself and they've simply disconnected the supply and return hoses in the engine bay( just back from battery area) and plugged them with screws.
Could i disconnected the heater hoses on the other side of the connector and run basically a loop hose between them so all the flow is going properly, or is there more too it? Hope you get what i mean