Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help. My partner's work vehicle has died

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
Help please. Partner's work car, 2001 vx 5.7 commy had charge light come on about 2 weeks back so I got RACV to look and was told alternator, which we replaced. Day or so late, goes to start it and getting short burst of turning over then clicking then nada. RACV says battery, so replaced that too. One day later, same deal, as in tries to turn then clicking. Partner thinks wire on alternator feel loose but smoke starts coming up from that area when he reconnects battery so disconnects it. Now there are no dash lights or anything;

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Alternator wires may be shorting/broken.

Strip, check and repair. New alternator shouldn't shouldn't short.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah agree, sounds like someone has wired something wrong or not tight enough.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have seen where the alternator wiring has burnt out the first 3" or so.....So I'd be replacing that section and see how things go from there

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
Hubby got it going again by swapping out brushes. It ran for about 15 minutes, then lost dash lights, gauges then died. Any ideas please

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
I asume you mean alternator brushes? Check all B+ wiring from battery positive terminal to alternator to starter motor. That's the big 12 volt red cable.

You will need to check all the fuses as well as the GROUND connections are tight and clean.