Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help, my vn is in trouble, really loud knocking noise

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Stevob said:
I check my oil every 3 minutes...just to be sure.

Lol, the old paranoia eh? On my old car I used to check it every day because I knew the rear main seal was on the way out, I lived in dread that one morning I'd check it and it would have dumped the lot on the driveway.

Stevob

Reaction score
Members Ride
May 1991 VN Wagon V6 Auto
Nah, even if I was that paranoid and I could easily open the bonnet by myself, I still wouldn't check it that often. My car uses about 1 litre every 20,000km.

Btw, every time I need to open the bonnet by myself, I have to get out a jumper lead, tie a knot in it, loop it over the bonnet release handle, pull until tight, keep tension on it as I go around the door, lean over and whack the front of the bonnet so it pops up. Quite a funny sight.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
check your harmonic balance the v6s are prone for the rubber coming unstuck. they make one hell of a knocking noise. just grab on to it and turn it if it turns then goes tight thats your prob.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
vks said:
hey all i started my vn this morning to warm it up as usuall and when she settled down to idle i discoverd one of the lifters was making noise i thought id leave it to warm up and see what happens, i went inside to get my wallet when i came back she was making a really loud knocking sound, sort of resembeling the sound of a diesel, i opend the bonnet again and the sound was coming from the same bank as where the lifter was making noise earlier,before i turned it off i checked if the engine ligth was on but it wasnt, i turned it off to prevent any furthur damage if there is any, can anyone please help me, your posts would be much appreciated

vks
If it's an auto it might be the torque convertor drive plate cracked. If you stop the engine and restart does it still make identical noise? As you say it is a knocking noise rather than a tapping sound I think it is less likely to be a tappet unless the valve is stuck open hitting the piston in which case it would be missfiring. Your later post says it is not missfiring so points back to either bigend or piston unless it is the torque convertor web plate. Torsional knocks can be caused by loose crankshaft pulleys/harmonic balancer and the noise changes characteristic when loaded or reved slightly. Big end and piston get noisier when reved or loaded. Use a piece of plastic tube or long screwdriver to try and pinpoint the location by putting one end to your ear and the other to various locations around the engine and see where noise is loudest.

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
Hey guys i pulled the heads off, there were no valve springs damaged, no bent pushrods. I was shocked to find a screw inside the cylinder just floating around, i have no idea how it got there since i have never pulled the engine apart until now. The only possible thing i can think of is that i ran the car without an airfilter in the airbox once,maby the screw got sucked up through the throttle body. I have no idea but the problem is sorted now thanks guys for all ur posts. i really appreciate it

vks

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
vks said:
Hey guys i pulled the heads off, there were no valve springs damaged, no bent pushrods. I was shocked to find a screw inside the cylinder just floating around, i have no idea how it got there since i have never pulled the engine apart until now. The only possible thing i can think of is that i ran the car without an airfilter in the airbox once,maby the screw got sucked up through the throttle body. I have no idea but the problem is sorted now thanks guys for all ur posts. i really appreciate it

vks
So what youre saying is your engine was screwed!

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
lol pretty much, i gave aveything a clean new gaskets the lot, put it back together and it runs sweet now, so its all gud

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
thanks everyone heaps for your replies much appreciated

vks