Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help, my vn is in trouble, really loud knocking noise

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
hey all i started my vn this morning to warm it up as usuall and when she settled down to idle i discoverd one of the lifters was making noise i thought id leave it to warm up and see what happens, i went inside to get my wallet when i came back she was making a really loud knocking sound, sort of resembeling the sound of a diesel, i opend the bonnet again and the sound was coming from the same bank as where the lifter was making noise earlier,before i turned it off i checked if the engine ligth was on but it wasnt, i turned it off to prevent any furthur damage if there is any, can anyone please help me, your posts would be much appreciated

vks

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
take off your rocket cover and have a squiz at your rockers, check the springs for damage cracks breaking,
does it miss a cylinder???

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
no its not missing, iv got the rocker covers off now no sign of bent pushrods or damaged springs, im takin the intake off now so ill keep you informed

thanks guys

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I had that happen on one of my old cars. It ran fine one moment, then sounded like a bag of nails the next. Never misfired though. It only happened twice while I owned it, but was REALLY noisy and did sound a bit like a diesel. Luckily I worked at a Garage at the time, and a mechanic looked at it and told me it was a noisy tappet.

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
either a tappet has bent/broken, or it could be your flywheel has let go does it sound like marbles? or more muffled knock sound???

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
My first suggestion would be the same as CSL, take the rocker cover off on that bank and check if all your rockers are firmly attached. If the rocker gear is fine and it's still doing it there are a number of possibilities especially if it's a muffled knocking sound, as CSL also mentioned flywheel is one of them. Another fairly disturbing possibility is a dead bigend bearing or two can be indicated by a muffled knock, although they tend to start clunking a bit higher up through the revrange if memory serves. Anyway don't mean to alarm with all this talk of major failure, could also be something dead simple. If you check your rockers then report back I'm sure we can throw round some more ideas once you've got some more intel on the situation.

Stevob

Reaction score
Members Ride
May 1991 VN Wagon V6 Auto
err, check oil level first.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Stevob said:
err, check oil level first.

ahhh, but everyone is doing this on at least a weekly basis right guys? :D Not keeping an eye on the fluid levels in an old car is asking for trouble.

Stevob

Reaction score
Members Ride
May 1991 VN Wagon V6 Auto
pandaman said:
ahhh, but everyone is doing this on at least a weekly basis right guys? :D Not keeping an eye on the fluid levels in an old car is asking for trouble.
I check my oil every 3 minutes...just to be sure.