Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help!! Power train error

Aaronborserio

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Hello all, new member here but not new to the site, I have gotten heaps of help from here and just want to say thanks to everyone.
Anyway I have a problem I can't seem to fix, I have read about every thread on this problem but still can't fix it. Ill start from the beginning to give you all as much info as I can.
It all started when I got a hole in the muffler running over a rock or something. The hole got bigger and bigger and in the end sounded like a sick tractor. One day the check power train came on on the dash and hasn't left since. I thought it was just the exhaust causing problems so I went and got a new one and put it in from the cats back, the only difference is I got straight through pipes instead of the one with the muffler at the rear.
This did not fix the problem so I went to my local mechanic and he plugged a scan tool into it, now it wasn't a tech 2 scan tool, I don't know what it was it was orange and all he done was go through each cylinder and seen which one didn't make the motor drop, in the end all he said to me was the computer said " number 6 cylinder failure" and then said it was most likely the coil pack.
I went home and now I have done following

Disconnected each coil plug one at a time and they all. Made the motor drop except number 6 which made no difference when I unplugged it confirming the problem is in the number 6 cylinder somewhere.

Brought a new coil pack and put it in and still no difference

Swapped coil pack with number 5 coil and still no difference

Swapped spark plug with number 5 and no difference

At this stage I thought it must be the injector so I pull the manifold off then pull the injectors out and swapped number 6 injector with number 1 thinking if it was that the problem would have moved over to number 1 cylinder but no it still remains at number 6.
I tested the plug to the injector and also the coil and they both get power.
I took the coil pack out of 6 and put an Allen key in it and it sparks when put near engine block.

I can't really think of anything else apart from the o2 censors, but didn't think them playing up would isolate the problem to number 6 cylinder?

I've disconnected the battery over night trying to reset the computer and the error goes away for a while but soon comes back.

Sorry for long post but i Don't know what to do? If anybody can help me it would be greatly appreciated