Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PLEASE HELP. VK Calais Tags

BenchM4rk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5L
Hi people. I'm looking for help with some Calais Tags. I recently travelled a long way to what was suppose to be a full matching number VK Calais only to find a mix match of numbers and a VJ prefix 304 engine from a VL. The tag on the radiator support suggests the VK was an SL. The owner says he thinks the car had front end damage and that had been swapped over and the old tag left on. The right hand side tag in front of the strut tower is definitely from a 333 pack Calais. The left hand side tag says 12-85 VK sedan with a BVK number that matches the BVK number on the left strut tower stamped into the body. Now is there any way to tell if the left hand side tag with the BVK number printed on it is the correct tag for the right hand side tag that has the 333 pack and body number etc on it? I have pictures of all tags except for the radiator support tag.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
RH side tag..?

my recollection is that ALL vehicle ID data on VKs is on the LH (passenger side)
(with the exception of the rad support panel)
Chassis/body number stamped on the passenger strut tower & HDT tags always went on the firewall

like this ...

holden-vk-commodore-engine-bay-nw.jpg

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh.. and I think pics will help here

BenchM4rk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5L
RH side tag..?

my recollection is that ALL vehicle ID data on VKs is on the LH (passenger side)
(with the exception of the rad support panel)
Chassis/body number stamped on the passenger strut tower & HDT tags always went on the firewall

like this ...

holden-vk-commodore-engine-bay-nw.jpg
Yeah when I say right hand side tag i mean the one with Body No and Trim and the Eng Trans Axl numbers on them. Left tag has ADR codes on them Right tag has 333 for Calais with Paint No and Trim Colour etc. Then the tag on the Radiator support should match the Body Number on the Right tag. Plus number on the Strut tower should match the Left tag with the AVK/BVK number.

BenchM4rk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5L
I don't have a photo of the Radiator support tag but it doesn't match the body number on the Compliance Tag

Attachments

• IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 1,190
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 997

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
.. thanks
all very strange

also, I think 2J-013 paint code is Asteroid Silver (from memory)
this thing also had a respray/colour change?

BenchM4rk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5L
.. thanks
all very strange

also, I think 2J-013 paint code is Asteroid Silver (from memory)
this thing also had a respray/colour change?
Yeah suppose to have had a full respray a few years back. There was a few other signs pointing towards it being an SL with Calais bits put on it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep asteroid silver like my vk executive...just had a look at tags on it.

Thin radiator tag & large spec tag should be matching body numbers.
Large ADR tag has vin number that matches strut tower number.

Other than that 'cos car has been messed around with like most old things you'll just have to check for obvious things that it's an original v8 asteroid silver vk such as v8 dash,extra looms for power windows etc,rear headrest mounts,crease in chassis rail for alternator clearance,sle/calais fuel sender has 2 plugs & fuel lines...also check for original paint in doors.boot or wherever factory overspray should be.