Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help! Vn berlina stock stereo removal

VNGURL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN COMMODORE Berlina 3.8L AUTO 1989
Hey y'all!

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to pull this sucka out! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I've tried to pull off the faschia around the stereo and also the climate control area... to no avail. I've hung upside down on the passengers side seat to see if there was anything keeping it in... there wasn't. Also, there's a black cable running from (what appears to be) the stereo through the firewall, however I'm unable to track down where it goes. I just want my stereo in as I'm riding around town with NO MUSIC and that's NOT ON! Please someone... anyone.. I need your help. I can't keep having a ride that doesn't have music.. it's like a commodore without a badge...

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Pull out the ash tray. Pull up the gear stick surround. 2 screws down the bottom holding the fascia in.

VNGURL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pull out the ash tray. Pull up the gear stick surround. 2 screws down the bottom holding the fascia in.

Cheers Wraith... I'll give that a go and see how I fair this weekend. Thanks for the swift reply. Truly appreciated. :D:D

VNGURL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Wraith,

I've tried that but it appears that the facia is screwed in to the metal part and I don't know how the hell to dig it out... I'll upload pics this weekend but I'm pis*ed off to the max about this as it's taken me forever to try and get this bad boy out.. The wiring I can do without trouble, but the head unit is proving to be more of a challenge...

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
To remove the head unit start by removing the charcoal covered insert in the fascia. Pull the PRNDL surround as above to access the three screws along the bottom of the surround and remove them. Unclip the white plastic clip on the rod that the hot-cold dial moves. The clip is behind the fascia/console, just left of the driver's leg. When you put that clip back on, turn the hot-cold dial to 'cold' and make sure the white plastic arm is in connect with (closes) the vacuum valve that controls the heater tap.

With the three screws across the bottom removed, pull the surround far enough forward that you can access the A/C switch plug. Disconnect it and the vacuum manifold from the back of the vent control. Then the two electrical plugs from the fan speed control and lights for the heater controls. Remove the surround.

To remove the fascia, there are three screws on either side (=6 screws) and two behind the surround, just above where the A/C switch sits. You'll have to open or, better, remove the glove box and to drop the cover on the driver's side, behind which the interior fuses are located. Ryder's picture in the other thread shows the latter with the fuse location decal on it.

To access the screws on the glove box side, you will find it easier to remove the glove box. To do that, use a flat blade screwdriver as a lever to slide out the black plastic hinge pin on the console side of the glove box. There is a tab on it for this purpose. (When you put the pin back, place it so the tab is accessible.) Then you have to wriggle the glove box out of the hole on the LHS. There is a knack to doing it but it will come out (and go back in).

Also loosen the two adjusting screws that are used to lift the front part of the console so it matches the fascia. That will allow the console to drop down and the fascia to be removed off the two locating pin holes in the console.

The radio should have a security screw which holds it in (some models did, some didn't). If it does, that will be on the driver's side of the stereo head unit. I think you might need an 'S' shaped screw driver to get to it (I haven't pulled the head unit from a VN for a long time).

The black cable is the aerial wire. It will unplug from the connector that is in the wire between the radio and the aerial mast. If the connector hasn't been apart before (and maybe if it has) it will have a wrap of duct tape around it. That's another reason to remove the glove box as it is behind that.

If you are still stuck, you don't have to wait another two months before posting back.

Last edited:

VNGURL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank You for thejinfo Cheap6

To remove the head unit start by removing the charcoal covered insert in the fascia. Pull the PRNDL surround as above to access the three screws along the bottom of the surround and remove them. Unclip the white plastic clip on the rod that the hot-cold dial moves. The clip is behind the fascia/console, just left of the driver's leg. When you put that clip back on, turn the hot-cold dial to 'cold' and make sure the white plastic arm is in connect with (closes) the vacuum valve that controls the heater tap.

With the three screws across the bottom removed, pull the surround far enough forward that you can access the A/C switch plug. Disconnect it and the vacuum manifold from the back of the vent control. Then the two electrical plugs from the fan speed control and lights for the heater controls. Remove the surround.

To remove the fascia, there are three screws on either side (=6 screws) and two behind the surround, just above where the A/C switch sits. You'll have to open or, better, remove the glove box and to drop the cover on the driver's side, behind which the interior fuses are located. Ryder's picture in the other thread shows the latter with the fuse location decal on it.

To access the screws on the glove box side, you will find it easier to remove the glove box. To do that, use a flat blade screwdriver as a lever to slide out the black plastic hinge pin on the console side of the glove box. There is a tab on it for this purpose. (When you put the pin back, place it so the tab is accessible.) Then you have to wriggle the glove box out of the hole on the LHS. There is a knack to doing it but it will come out (and go back in).

Also loosen the two adjusting screws that are used to lift the front part of the console so it matches the fascia. That will allow the console to drop down and the fascia to be removed off the two locating pin holes in the console.

The radio should have a security screw which holds it in (some models did, some didn't). If it does, that will be on the driver's side of the stereo head unit. I think you might need an 'S' shaped screw driver to get to it (I haven't pulled the head unit from a VN for a long time).

The black cable is the aerial wire. It will unplug from the connector that is in the wire between the radio and the aerial mast. If the connector hasn't been apart before (and maybe if it has) it will have a wrap of duct tape around it. That's another reason to remove the glove box as it is behind that.

If you are still stuck, you don't have to wait another two months before posting back.

Cheap6 - I would like to thank you for the information you have offered me here. I will try what you have suggested and come back to you as soon as I've done so to let you know of the outcome. I can't thank you enough.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka

Nzguzzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Executive Wagon
The black cable going through the firewall will be for the aerial...

Correct, this is th arial wire, arial unit/motor located rear of left hand front guard. ( my arial unit was missing, so the arial wire served no purpose, but I plugged it in anyway ).

New radio you will probably need a new cradle, not sure if the old original one will work.
Be careful when installing new cradle not to push and cut through the loom at the back that controls the rear window wiper, a/c etc like I did.... Blew the cigarette fuse about 10 times until I figured out the cradle was touching those bare wires it had rubbed through.... Doh. :hmmm:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Don't use a cradle. Modify the original brackets to suit.