Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PLEASE HELP! vn calais, won't start..

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
okay, so the details are; i have a 1990 vn calais, 3.8L series 1.. i have recently encountered a serious problem... i performed a great task today, by changing my engine mounts, it actually turned out alot better then i thought it would, went reasonably well, also changed transmission mount, very easy. HOWEVER. when it came time to move my car from the driveway, it wouldn't start..

So what happens is, i turn the key, nothing.. it was like the battery was dead, but then i let a little pressure off it, and it tries to turn over, but very weakly. only once or twice.. and then nothing again, i tried a few times.. wondering what the hell was going on, and then i gave up on it when smoke began to pour out from the bottom left corner of my windscreen, what the hell did i do wrong??? all i did was changed my engine mounts and transmission mounts, and the obvious things required to do so.. but what could the problem be? why was the smoke coming from there..? o_O it wasn't coming from inside the bonnet, the bonnet was up at the time, it was coming from beneath the windscreen.

Any answers/sollutions/help would be great, i'm going to check for the error codes later on i think too..

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
yeah i had a feeling of the same thing.. i have one sitting out the back, its possibly been wet, does this mean its buggered? or would it be fine provided it dried out (And i got the spiders webs out of it..)

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
okay, i tried my other ecu, which hasn't actually been wet, it appears to be perfectly fine, NOTHING changed at all, further info; my doors still unlock, lights still work, everything seems to function except for the actual starting of the engine..

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
i've just searched the engine bay, making sure of all connections that i could see actually being connected, and making sure that no wires were broken, i can't see any problems as of yet.. i'm really, really stumped... :/

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
okay guys, any help would be great.. i've had a quick suss out of my starter motor (Seeing as i couldn't actually LOOK at it because of where it is, i had a good feel around for the wires and stuff.. everything appears to be in place..), tried to jump start her, nothing still.. can ANYONE give any help? would this happen if i had blown a fuse or a relay or something? Cheers guys!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
did you bolt the earth strap back onto the engine mount bolt if not it will earth through any means possible small ecu sensor wires etc .connect a jumper lead onto the block somewhere and onto battery earth and see if it cranks then

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
whoa whoa whoa whoa whatttt! theres an earch strap on the engine mount bolt?? everywhere i read about how to change engine mounts, this was never mentioned... where is this strap! is it on drivers/passanger side..? **** mate, thank you VERY bloody much!!! f***ing legend!

Edit; after doing a google on these earth straps, apparently on older cars they're going to the trans mount or something, i also changed my trans mount too, i've checked the connections around there to be sure i didn't bugger anything up too.. but back to the earth thing.. could it be there even? i had a look in the engine bay for this earth strap, i couldn't find it, it's stated that one end connects to the engine mount, where would the other end of it connect..? Thank you very much!

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
goes to the battery earth terminal and normally is on one of the 3 bolts holding the mount bracket to the block of the engine runs down inside the conduit the power cable is in