Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PLEASE HELP! vn calais, won't start..

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yeah mate it is thats possibly be the problem .

Now as for the smoke here coems my 2nd theory under your dash above the glovebox is the immobilizer module on the vn calais i suggest this is what went up in smoke if you attach the earth strap and it still dont start.

Disarm your immobilizer with key in glovebox and see if that helps

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
yeah i figured it woulda been my immobiliser, and i've only just recently replaced the switch (thank god!) so i did try turning it off, but ocassionally before i try to start it it still says "press remote" and then after i press it it goes away, so i think its alright, i just need to find the earth strap, but i dont know which side its on.. :/

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
lol when i said yeah amte at the sart of my post i was refering it to your previous that its on the drivers side PITA spot really

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
oh okay, i just had a good look, couldn't see any o_O hmm.. could i just undo one of the bolts on the engine mount.. and put a wire from that, to somewhere else.. would it work the same? :/ i think i can see the cover over the wire, but i cant see anything that isn't connected or anything.. will i need to get under the car again to see it or is it visible from above? Also, as for the jumper lead on engine to battery earth, where on the engine do you suggest i connect it..? thanks guys!

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
anywhere metal or alloy will be fine avoid putting it on the water pipes

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
:D never mind guys i worked it out.. a very very thing red and yellow wire, connecting to something toward the left of my water pump. gave it a wiggle and then it started, very impressed, going to do something to make this a little more permenant.
Cheers guys!

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
okay so i'm thinking that this is NOT a permenant fix, i understand soldering where it connects to would be.. but this is in a very difficult place.. if i used some form of glue on it, to make sure that where it connects cannot be tugged at, would this be a good fix or not..? Cheers guys!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
can you trace back where the wire goes too im trying to think of what it is for

stixiboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Hey guys. You 2 seem to have a great idea on VN's My car has been cutting in and out for a while especially around corners, now there is alot of trouble even while im driving straight it seems there is less and less power coming from the engine. then it will completely cut out and then i will have to turn off the car and turn it back on to get any power out of it. Driving along and the next minute it's like someone turned the ignition off. Turn the ignition off and if the revs are high enough (auto) turn the egnition back on and the engine re-starts. If revs are low then you have to select neutral and then switch off ignition then start with the starter motor. I have changed my alternator, my DFI module, my coil pack, my battery, my starter motor, injectors some fuses, fuel pump, oxygen sensor and it still wont run nicely

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Hey guys. You 2 seem to have a great idea on VN's My car has been cutting in and out for a while especially around corners, now there is alot of trouble even while im driving straight it seems there is less and less power coming from the engine. then it will completely cut out and then i will have to turn off the car and turn it back on to get any power out of it. Driving along and the next minute it's like someone turned the ignition off. Turn the ignition off and if the revs are high enough (auto) turn the egnition back on and the engine re-starts. If revs are low then you have to select neutral and then switch off ignition then start with the starter motor. I have changed my alternator, my DFI module, my coil pack, my battery, my starter motor, injectors some fuses, fuel pump, oxygen sensor and it still wont run nicely

Sounds like you have a bad earth most likely engine to battery mine wagon did exact same thing when i did the engine swap and didnt connect the earth mentioned in this properly (ok so i got pissed off and cut it when pulling the motor out and then tried to dodge it back together.

What i did is got a 50cm earth cable 400amp made up with lugs on it and ran it from battery to engine