Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PLEASE HELP!: VS Manual Clubsport ECU?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if the manual one was fitted to an auto, it wouldn't run the box, customer probably thought it was faulty returned it and it probably got binned. what a waste, monumental F*ck up there

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
I beg to differ. I ran a PCM with a factory (auto) memcal in my car for a few months (after a manual conversion :D ). It kept getting error codes saying the transmission was faulty. lol

I think what you mean is that a PCM wont work with the manual engine harness, as the pinouts are drastically different between ECM and PCM.

The harness plugs are slightly different from ECM to PCM, so you can't plug the wrong one in without taking to the plug with a stanley knife and shaving off the locking keys.

Shaving the locking keys on an auto harness to plug in a manual computer is one of those "don't try this at home" things.

ok so it will run, it just wont run correctly
what i mean is
the auto PCM wont run the manual memcal, it needs the 64k eprom.
the auto PCM wont work in a manual car with the auto memcal.

Rob

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
well i am running an auto ecu with a manual chip in mine with the auto engine harness and the only problem that i have is that i get a vss code & crankshaft angle sensor code but i have been told that i can fix these but have been unable to find a printout of the pins & wiring harness( what each wire is) that go into the auto ecu. Can anybody help its a Vr V6 auto

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Dr Bob,

Can a VS V6 (BSTJ 1446) memcal run in an Auto PCM ?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
well i am running an auto ecu with a manual chip in mine with the auto engine harness and the only problem that i have is that i get a vss code & crankshaft angle sensor code but i have been told that i can fix these but have been unable to find a printout of the pins & wiring harness( what each wire is) that go into the auto ecu. Can anybody help its a Vr V6 auto

the VR manual memcal has a completely different software set & will not run well at all, if you want to try & fix it theres some wiring diagrams on my website www.memcals.com

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Dr Bob,

Can a VS V6 (BSTJ 1446) memcal run in an Auto PCM ?

yes, the PCM is essentially the same, the problem being some VS Auto PCM's are missing some of the hardware needed to run the manual speed sensor, tis is mainly an issue with the Getrag trans as the T5 VSS is similar to the auto one.

Rob

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS manual chip

So Dr. BOB if the auto inductive VSS is used with the manual g/box (if possible) then there should be no problems ? I want to sell my old chip and want to be completely informed before selling it to someone. If I do keep it, can i flash it and put my custom tune on there instead of driving round with the Kalmaker PCM and memcal in ?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
yes it can be reprogrammed, the VSS will work if you can make it fit

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
hry doctor bob this thread answered most of my questions do you know if it is possible to fit the auto speedo sender unit to the t5 allowing me to have a speedo and can the vs s2 clubsort ecu be made to work with a manual if the sender from the auto is fitted and all the codes anmd so on are turned off to deal with the auto
cheers doug

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is an old thread. The auto speed sensor in the V6 auto's of the VS era actually get their signal from a tone wheel mounted onto the output shaft of the box. I don't know what the V8 5ltr auto looks like. The Manual T5 sensor is driven by a small gearbox that inturn gets spun via a nylon gear mounted inside on the output shaft.

The diameter for the manual gearbox VSS sensor is smaller than the sensor fitted to the auto box's. DO NOT plug a MANUAL V8 ECU into an V8 AUTO loom and/or visa versa. The signal from the manual VSS can be run directly to the speedo head to give you speedo operation so long as a switched 12v and earth are supplied to the sensor.

The signal put out by the manual VSS will not interface with the AUTO V8 ECU. With a reprogrammed memcal to suit your AUTO ? ECU and wiring modified to allow speedo operation the vehicle will run without the speed signal output but fuel economy will suffer slightly also idle speed control system will not be 100%