Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please Help - VT Instrument Cluster

Miss-E

VTCOM6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
We are trying to change the lights in the speedo to blue/white whichever I decide I like. Any advice would help.

How do I get the needles (pointies) off because I want to make them blue or red or purple. We don't want to break them by just ripping them off if that's not how they are supposed to come off.

Also does anyone know where to buy coloured needles or did other people just take the orange paint off and repaint it in the colour they wanted?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
replace the mormal illumination globes with the color you want, use LED's for a nice bright light.
to get the needles off use a fork, paying close attention to where they point so they are still accurate.

vxtra

vxtra
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx exec s1
i have just installed blue LEDs into the instrument cluster on my vx exec.
i filed off the tips to spread the light a bit more, and i still have a dead spot on the speedo on the left hand side of the dial.
any suggestions?
i just replaced the old globes with twist in LEDs. i also filed the orange off the back of the needles (might have been a bad move-may have to reopen the patient to paint the needles white?)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
My advice use alot more LEDs in parrallel use at least 8 5mm leds in just the KMs speedo alone if u just replace with the old globes it will just look 2 dodgy and cheap as uve just found out lol. and dont point them directly forward put them on a slant even 2 spread the light around and more even again that way u wont get "Hot Spots" (just the opposite 2 the dark spots ur seein now)

tho takin the paint off the needles if ur tryna make them light up blue uve dun the right thing it looks much better with out the orange only thing u may want 2 do is paint mayb just the tips white as during the day if u got the orginal dial fascia and sunlight shines everywhere but on ur dash the needles can b hard 2 see somtimes. if ur white paint u use is a lil transparent it wont hurt 2 even paint the whole back of the needle as with the blue it wont discolour it at all.