Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

please help. vt on gas&petrol

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by michael_vt1999, Nov 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. michael_vt1999

michael_vt1999 New Member

Members Ride:
    vt commodore 1999
    Hi people any help would be great. I have a 199vt Commodore station wagon on gas. I've just picked it up has 225000ks on it and seems to be in pretty good Nick. How ever it does not run on petrol. It only runs on gas. I've pulled out the filter and found that it is bone dry and pretty much looks brand new. I can hear the fuel pump prime but it's not sending fuel down the line to the the filter.

Has anyone got some advice??

2. supercharged-ride

supercharged-ride New Member

Members Ride:
    vz sv6 Alloytec190
    It could be the plastic pipe inside the fuel tank between the pump it's self and the top of the in tank unit for want of a better way to explain it, if that is split the pump can still run but the fuel pumps straight back into tank.
    i will try to get a link to a pic on ebay so you can see what i am talking about.
    this is a thought only but have seen this problem before on a vt

3. supercharged-ride

Members Ride:
    vz sv6 Alloytec190
    NEW Holden Commodore VT VX WH V6 Fuel Pump N Sender | eBay
    if on this link you look at the pic you can see a ribed pipe between fuel pump and the top of the unit that is the plastic pipe i am talking about. i'm not saying that this is the problem in this cause but it is a very possible cause

4. michael_vt1999

Members Ride:
    vt commodore 1999
    Thank you for the reply. I'm kind of hoping I don't have to drop the fuel tank and that it will be the last resort. But I'm guessing I'm not going to have much choice. I was going to try and bridge the relay for the fuel pump to give it " a kick in the guts" to see if that would do the trick and spit fuel out but I'm not 100%sure how to do that.

5. supercharged-ride

Members Ride:
    vz sv6 Alloytec190
    yer I haven't done that i could give basic info on where to find it and how the relay actually works and how to work out which connection is which but having say that all the fuel system is also connected to the computer system in the car so i wouldn't advise it just in case.
    So you can hear the pump prime for a few seconds then stop as usual with the pumps function? if its running there should be some fuel maybe remove the filter, put a bowl or something under the pipe and turn the ignition on just to see if fuel comes out and have a good lissen good to hear the pump if its running and still get nothing i think you'll have to remove tank and investigate i don't think bridging relay will do anything at all to be honest

6. supercharged-ride

Members Ride:
    vz sv6 Alloytec190
    another idea in under the bonnet to the left of the engine bay is the fuse/relay compartment going by memory there is another relay the same as the fuel pump relay in there you could swop around just to check that the relay isn't the problem

7. michael_vt1999

Members Ride:
    vt commodore 1999
    Thank you for the info. So far no luck on anything. The fuel pump primes like normal. I've removed the filter and turned the ignition on to get the fuel pump to prime. But nothing no fuel at all comes out of the line. I've checked all fueses and they are all fine. I'm lost now. I'm actually hoping that when I remove the tank the fuel pump is blocked or else I belive I'm in big trouble in this regard

8. Jxfwsf

Jxfwsf Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    commodore
    Well it obviously doesn't prime like normal if it makes noise and no fuel comes out...

It's either the piece of corrugated piping mentioned above, the pump is ####ed or someone has had the tank out in the past and connected the hoses incorrectly.
    Which ever one you have to drop the tank to go any further.

9. michael_vt1999

Members Ride:
    vt commodore 1999
    Primes like normal as in you hear it when you turn the key. Etc. If you can't be polite then take your attitude elsewhere

10. Jxfwsf

Jxfwsf Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    commodore
    eh? How is saying it's not normal and giving you 3 possible causes at why it'd do it not helping and being polite?

11. supercharged-ride

Members Ride:
    vz sv6 Alloytec190
    Gday How did you go? It's only a guess but i wouldn't mind backing the ribbed plastic tube as i said earlier.
    The son had a duel fuel vt thats now my donour car (at least some of the body stuff) and that had trouble with the fuel system ran on gas but fuel no good, i dropped the tank in that and don't know if it was because running mainly on lpg or what but it split that same tube