Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please HELP :(

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Hi everyone, Just wondering if i could get some advice as to why my car wont start. I have been reading through the forums and have tried just about everything I can see that may be related to the issue but to no avail.

Its an injected 304 out of a VR and im getting fuel and spark clean air and I have checked my timing 3 times. Replaced the dizzy and leads, plugs, computer, the ignition module, checked fuel pressure and just spent the last 3 hours swearing while I pulled out and replaced the dizzy in case the Hall Effect Sensor was rooted but still not starting.

Everyone I have spoken to keep saying that my timing must be out? But I have check it 3 times now and the last time was with the rocker cover off so I could see if I was on the correct stroke.

I have sprayed "start ya bastard" into the intake to see if its a fuel issue but it didnt respond. I bench tested the injectors and they all seem to be working fine also.

I was mucking about with the dizzy when cranking it over (advancing/retarding) and the only thing I got was a "pop pop" sound when going to far one way?

Is it at all possible for the coil pack to be throwing a spark but not enought to make it fire up?

Please help if you have any more ideas.

Oh, and one last thing I have just remembered... I use to be able to hear a electronic buzzing sound coming from somewhere under the hood but I can only faintly hear it when I start to undo my earthing bolt?

Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did you check the timing in diagnostic mode? Have you checked whether you have any DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) set?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I guess you mean you have the 308 V8 in your VR - a 304 is an AMC engine fitted to jeeps etc.......however, what I would do is first make sure the spark is fat and healthy - if weak then it's probably the coil or the ignition module....probably the latter.
Thinking about it, if no go with "start ya bastard", then it must be spark related....and even if the timing was way out you would still get some reaction...either a misfire/backfire/something.
You say: "Oh, and one last thing I have just remembered... I use to be able to hear a electronic buzzing sound coming from somewhere under the hood but I can only faintly hear it when I start to undo my earthing bolt?...
"

That may be the best clue to what is wrong.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the swift reply boys. "BlackVXGTS" im getting a a scan tool in the morning from a mates workshop so i'll keep you posted.

"Hacko" Im heading into Bursons first thing to grab a new coil but it might just be the timing. I had two Mechanic mates over this arvo one who works for BMW and another Energy Australia (diesel) so otherwise useless to me ;) and they seem to think its the timing as its back firing?

I will be also getting my hands on a timing light so things should be more clearer by the afternoon...

ps, the engine in a holden vn to vt* is and injected 304...Not a 308 ;)

Cheers

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
remove number 1 plug put finger in hole turn engine by hand untill finger gets pushed out the hole continue turning crank clockwise untill timing mark arrives at TDC mark. turn dizzy untill rotor points at lead going to number 1 cylinder refit plug and start car

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I would say you have a issue with the imobilliser isolating the injectors, but you say it fired up when you twisted the dizzy. Your not 180 degrees out r u??

vscaprice98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice
when u pulled the rocker cover off did u pull right or left one off put motor on tdc with no one piston up best way to check if u on ur no 1 firing stroke is left rocker cover off and see that no 4 is on the rock ie move pulley one way intake starts to go down move other way exhaust starts to go down then u no that right hall efect sensor not the eaisest thing to replace can be not quite right as well if ur getting spark i would say ur igntion module is right could maybe a stretched timing chain which has thrown it out of wake with ur cam timing if all sensors and fuel is being distrubted to the motor

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers "vscaprice98" Yeah I unbolted the left hand side rocker cover (looking from an open bonnet) and once I noticed the exaust and intake were motionless when turning the engine by hand on and off TDC and seeing piston 7 (I think) move I assumed I was spot on.. But now Im starting to think I may be 1 tooth out on my dizzy.. Grrrrr! But either way I'll keep everyone posted on my result when and if I get her going again...

Thank you to everone who has taken the time to reply, I honestly thought it was going to be put in everyones "too hard basket"

Ben