Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

xkyle22x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore
Hey guys, today I swapped the stock shifter on my vz thunder Ute for a cube speed t56 shifter. Looks the goods, seems identical to the rip shifter. Really happy with it. Everything went smoothly installing it and feels great. Shifts perfect feels tight, everything was fine.
I drove it around a bit through every gear and reverse no worries then later tonight I went out 5 min drive and reverse parked it but when I went home and went to reverse park at home it won’t go into reverse it’s like it won’t even select the reverse gate.
I would assume it’s something to do with the shifter but I don’t know what it could be. Everything was fine after install.
I’ll add I did have to drop the trans down a bit to get the front shifter bolts in so maybe I pinched a wire or something?? Not sure if there is anything electrical it could be just a thought.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Does it go into reverse when the car is off?

xkyle22x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore
No it wasn’t. I went out this morning and it was going over to the reverse gate but was solid when u pushed up. Just wouldn’t even try and go in. I rolled it forward In First and let it roll back a few times and pumped the clutch and it took about 5 mins of stuffing around then it just dropped straight in so took it for a short drive and it was fine so I got no idea.
When I put the shifter in the gasket around the shifter was shagged and had leaked oil all over the box. Looked bad but I don’t think it was really that much oil but I’m thinking maybe the oil is a bit low now. Could low oil cause this?
I might dump the oil and see what happens.

xkyle22x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore
Update: so just taken for another longer drive (about 30 min) and no reverse again. Can feel it pushing Into the gate but won’t go up.
Let it sit for 20 mins and it was bit hard to push up the first time but went into reverse then every time after just glided in. So seems temp related

BIGSWIGGER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Utility
The symptoms you describe sound similar to the gear box in my parents car, my old man says it's got to do with the synchro mesh or something, when you try shifting into reverse, try shifting to second first and then reverse, it might line it up.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The symptoms you describe sound similar to the gear box in my parents car, my old man says it's got to do with the synchro mesh or something, when you try shifting into reverse, try shifting to second first and then reverse, it might line it up.

No synchro on reverse...
It might be time for an oil change.