Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please Help!!!!

96 vs commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 holden vs commodore wagon
So i degreased my motor in the old commy and now she won't even crank, i didn't cover electricals except for battery terminals and two sensors i had to disconnect to move the intake, i turn the key to reds to let it prime and it's all normal moment i try to actually start it there's nothing but i noticed an exclamation mark in brackets that flashes on when i turn the key and when i turn the key back off there's a weird noise coming from near the brake drum thing. Have i stuffed up?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
You've drowned it. Let it dry out for a couple of days and see how you go.
And what the Hell is a "brake drum thing"?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
What Gossie said !

Water and aging electrical connector seals don't play well together. You have to be really careful where you point water at as it easily shorts things out and blows Electrical / Electronic components up in a flash

96 vs commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
You've drowned it. Let it dry out for a couple of days and see how you go.
And what the Hell is a "brake drum thing"?
Alrighty will do don't know how i drowned it with a garden hose and i was careful only to spray where needed. As for the brake drum thing i dunno ask the ******** that told me that's what it was, but i was talking about that black round looking thing in the engine bay in front of the driver?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
blows Electrical / Electronic components up in a flash
Pun intended? :p

Also check that your battery terminals are tight and you didn't knock them loose when covering them.

The item in Front of the driver you're talking about is the brake booster. Will likely just be a relay clicking

96 vs commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pun intended? :p

Also check that your battery terminals are tight and you didn't knock them loose when covering them.

The item in Front of the driver you're talking about is the brake booster. Will likely just be a relay clicking
I had taken the battery out and wrapped the terminals in electrical tape plus i re wired them. And brake booster that's it lol

96 vs commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update damn car still wont crank so i've gone over all connections and theres nothing physically wrong to the eye, going to replace the spark plugs and leads and also have a fiddle with the starter motor

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try tapping the starter motor with a hammer and see if that helps

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
don't waste your time with leads and plugs if it won't crank. They are not the cause of failure to turn over (crank). Do as Losh says above.
If you filled the sump or cylinders with water it will be locked up and likely faarked. Unlikely I guess.
If you've got a dodgy connection (you said you re-did them?) then there might be enough power to light up the dash and prime the fuel pump but not enough to crank the motor. Starter motor will click when there's not enough grunt to crank

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If it won't "crank" very good chance your battery needs charging or replacing.
How old is it?.....It's marked on it if your not aware.
Is oil level correct? If higher that when you last did the weekly check you may have hosed water into it via the induction.