Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please please help - dash not working

sso6ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 06
Try this, disconnect the positive terminal, put a jump lead from the negative terminal that is still on the battery to the positive terminal that is disconnected from the positive on the battery and leave for about 10 sec, disconnect the jump lead and put the positive terminal back onto the battery, brought my instrument cluster back into operation, going to see an auto sparky tomorrow about it.....

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
Check the connections the dash plugs into. Sometimes the cheap loom plugs get loose. Sometimes u can unplug them and plug it back in and it works. Otherwise, u could try "tensioning" up the loom plug pins. So they contact better thus always keeping your dash connected properly (IF this is the actual problem) my head unit plug suffers this problem. Stupid Thailand/taiwan/chinese electrical plugs holden use.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The steering wheel controls connect directly to the instrument cluster, and from there, the whole shebang is broadcast over the SW Can.
(I.E. the cluster reads the cars speed, engine RPM, engine temp, Ignition switch status, and lots of other little things from the SW Can),
and will broadcast any steering wheel switch button presses over the SW Can for the Radio/Sat Nav to pick up and use....

Sounds to me like its one of three things...
1) Worse case : Your Cluster is fried.... (I dont really think this is the case, as they are hardy little things, and dont die easily)
2) Second Worst Case : The SW Can bus wiring is shorting out somewhere....
Best way to test this is to check to see if the HVAC functions work correctly. If the SW Can wiring is fried, then you will not be able to set the temperature or fan speed....
3) Best Case : The Instrument Cluster plug is loose. (They have a lever latch on the electrical connector, and the cluster will work fine even when this latch is not in the closed position, however if this is the case, the plug can become loose, and come out....

If I was a betting man, I would be thinking Case 3, as this is an Ex Cop car, and highly possible that trim pieces have been removed to fit / remove the police accessories...
It is very possible that this connector wasnt fitted 100%...

Hope this helps....

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
this may do nothing but may be worth a try;

1. place key in ignition
2. hold down left wheel button 'enter' and don't let go
3. turn ignition to full accessories (just before ignition)
4. keep holding the enter button for 10 seconds than let go
5. scroll down and down and down than click enter
6. report what happens

what should happen
- continuous chime
- all needles move to a point (speedo and tacho vertical)
- center screen completely orange and illuminated
- all warning lights on (abs, traction, indicators ect.)

cvPark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE8EK69- VE commodore international sedan
The ECM reset mentioned here worked a treat on my VE commodore. After my battery went dead none of the instruments worked. Removed battery lead, turned on ignition for a minute, turned off ignition, reconnected battery and all good. A big thank you to the poster !

MrMickals

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
Hi Rob just wondering if you ended up resolving the problem?
I have a 2007 ve belina that has done exactly what you have described.
I tried almost everything I've read here but still nothing. It doesn't look like my car is ex police as I am unable to locate this so called steath switch near the interior light.

geoffclubberlang

Reaction score
Members Ride
ex cop ve ss 2009
I did this and Also took the fuse out inside passenger kick panel,it worked until I put the fuse back inside the passenger side,everything worked, if I kept the fuse out it was all good except stereo wouldnt turn off and central locking wouldn't work until fuse went back in,then everything stuffed up again.Any help much appreciated.

MrMickals

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
Thats so strange. Im at an auto electrician now. Will post any findings

MrMickals

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
Auto sparky os clueless. Hes telling me its a holden job. All that means to means to me is big $$$..
Which fuse in the kick panel did you pull out?

geoffclubberlang

Reaction score
Members Ride
ex cop ve ss 2009
Auto sparky os clueless. Hes telling me its a holden job. All that means to means to me is big $$$..
Which fuse in the kick panel did you pull out?
Bsm fuse was removed same as boot and engine bay ,today I tried it again as well as disconnecting battrie terminal and still the same problem.