Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please Please Please Read and Help me ! Oil Pressure Problem!!!

VE1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Caprice V8
Hey guys please take the time to read the information i have about my problem:

I have a Holden VZ Executive 2005 3.6L Alloytec Auto. My car was running fine, no oil problems no clunking sounds no nothing. I left
the car off for two days while i was spray painting the wheels, and when finished turned on the car took it out of the garage
and left it idling while i went inside and got a few things before my drive. The car was idling for about 10 minutes when i started
hearing a clunking sound. I checked my oil pressure and saw that it dropped below 20psi. Which was not normal. I reved the engine
to about 4k RPM and saw that the pressure just went up to 40 psi ( where it would usually go to 60-70psi ) Then i looked at my oil pressure
after i stopped reving it dropped to ZERO, yes ZERO and the engine started clunking like a diesel. Then in an instant the warning on my dash
popped up saying Check Oil ! I turned off the car immediantly. Went to the shop baught new oil with two bottles of engine flush. And i put
the flush in. Started the car and it was idling great with no noise and oil pressure at 20psi with the engine still cold and turned off after 20
minutes. Flushed the oil, changed the oil filter and started up the car. I left it running for about 15minutes when the oil pressure needle
began to fluctuate again and start to drop below 10psi.Then again the clunking sound started getting worse as the oil pressure dropped to ZERO
again and i turned off the car. And after doing a few running and switching off the car tests. ive ruled out the following as a basic sum up of the problem:

- When the car is started cold, oil pressure is fine and the engine makes no clunking noises at all, as the car warms up, the oil pressure drops, and when fully warmed up the oil pressure drops to 0 -

That is the problem i'm having. I had a mobile mechanic come and he told me that it could be a blockage which i thought cant be correct because if it was
a blockage then the oil pressure wouldnt be fine and the engine would be making noises when i turn the car on cold, but it only begins to drop and make noises as it warms up. :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

Can anyone here please please help me if anyone has had this problem and how have they fixed this problem? PLEASE !!!

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Faulty oil pressure sensor? Maybe

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
Avoid starting it again.. I've just had the same thing happen to my 6L VE It ended up being the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump that was stuck open, basically restricted oil flow to the galleries etc.. I was too late and I'm up for a complete bottom end now..

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
did u check the oil when it said check engine oil? maybe u just had low oil and didnt need to flush etc etc???

VE1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Caprice V8
Thank you guys for your replies ! Yes i thought it might be the same problem being the sensor but ive been advised that if it was the sensor then the pressure wouldnt be dropping it would continously be faulty.

Hey phat6ltr, did you have the same problem? yes i wont be starting it anymore ive organised a cheap tow of 100 dolalrs to allan mance hsv. They told me it could
either be a blockage in the oil pickup, or the oil pump itself. Is the oil pressure relief valve part of the oil pump? meaning if thats faulty, it basically means that my oil pump is faulty?

And yes i checked the oil when that came up and it was pretty low so i did a oil change and changed my oil 3 times now trying to flush the engine out!

Well it will be going to Holden today and i will keep you guys updated with whats going on as the days go past and they diagnose the problem ! Thanks guys !

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
VE1994;2505556 Hey phat6ltr said:
Yeah, it was a severe ticking/knocking sound that I first thought may have been a lifter, sent it to my tuner and it was the valve in the pump itself. So if its that and you've caught it early enough you might be lucky but **** could get real expensive real quick in the next few days for you :(

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
hopefully its not gonna cost you an arm and a leg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds expensive, good oil pressure when cold and poor pressure when hot generally indicates that you have a bearing clearance issue.

Marty_59

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE V6 Commodore Omega ute
Hi VE1994,
Based on what you have described I would think is the engine would be coming out. No oil pressure..... sound like a diesel..........sounds pretty terminal

VE1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Caprice V8
Sounds expensive, good oil pressure when cold and poor pressure when hot generally indicates that you have a bearing clearance issue.

Hmm maybe not, because yesterday before i got it towed. I turned on the car from a completely cold start ( hasnt been running since the day before ) and straight away
the oil pressure was stuck at zero with the engine sounding like a diesel and making loud clunking sounds... i gave it abit of a rev..nothing happened... so i gave it one
more powerful rev to about 4k rpm and boom it cleared the oil pressure started jumping up and the sounds dissapearing as the oil started to lubricate the engine
and after about 10 seconds all the sounds dissapeared... so im beginning to think its a clog or the pump playing around... Holden told me they will remove
the oil sump and check the pickup, and if its not that they will have a look at the pump because its a common problem that the pump starts failing...

I will keep you guys updated with what holden tells me and i have my fingers crossed its not gonna need a new motor !