Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pleaseeeee help, clunking noise.

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Hey guys I'm seriously on the verge of either selling my piece of sh**t Vx ss or putting a brick through it... The **** box recently developed a wierd clicking/clunking sound from rear right wheel which is annoying coz it goes and comes when it feels like it. I've replaced diffs and I've replaced handbrake shoes and even tighten the handbrake then I go over a little bump and the piece of sh**t sound comes back. Any body encounter this before. I'm sick of it I just wanna drive this thing in peace I'm running out of $$ and patience for a well invested car

D

devilly

if you go over a bump and then there's a noise i would be guess,shock's or strut's.see if you can bounce the car by hand and make the noise appear.if you have a tow bar jump up and down on it.

if you hear no noise then it probably in the shocky or strut as it has to stretch to push fluid around and stuff around.

other then that have a good look at the rubber boot's e.t.c look at the good side the the bad see if you see anything different.

and please calm down and get a grip :) :)

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
Not being a smart arse here, but it a 15+ year old car... so I'd be getting prepared to continue spending money on it to keep it road worthy if I were you.

As above, could be a number of things, but likely a shock/suspension or axle/diff bush related.

If you have zero mechanical savvy, bring it to your friendly local mechanic and have them diagnose the issue for you. Yes, you have to pay money for that, but chances are they will have seen the issue before and will probably replace whatever's worn, not throw good money after bad with your eyes closed and hope you might get lucky and repair the issue.

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
@devilly

hahaha mate i tried that aye but the thing will do it on a real slow rotation and speeds up with acceleration, one click/clunk per revolution, as for the please calm down and get a grip hahah its a little hard when adrenaline is pumping and a cute set of stockies, a solid tune and a set of 3.46s behind a 4speed auto loll

Miickyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Not being a smart arse here, but it a 15+ year old car... so I'd be getting prepared to continue spending money on it to keep it road worthy if I were you.

As above, could be a number of things, but likely a shock/suspension or axle/diff bush related.

If you have zero mechanical savvy, bring it to your friendly local mechanic and have them diagnose the issue for you. Yes, you have to pay money for that, but chances are they will have seen the issue before and will probably replace whatever's worn, not throw good money after bad with your eyes closed and hope you might get lucky and repair the issue.

yeah i know what you mean buddy, i do have abit of knowledge behind her she isnt my first vx ls1, i did just get an update from the mechanic he may think that the right hand shaft could be the culprit. i can understand that may be the issue, the thing with that diff and a tough tune causes her to do chirpies on a set of 19s all day every day from first to second with power on, fingers crossed aye lol dont get me wrong i love the dirty little s l u t. but hey the joys of toying with ls1's im only due for more issues WHEN shes in for her cam setup and a stally to hold it loll.

not sure how to upload a photo on here but id show you guys my b*tch

D

devilly

kind sounds like wheel bearing.or the rear drive shaft bearing<--- dunno the correct words what goes from hub to diff center.

check to make sure that nothing is not out of alignment and scrapping out as well :)

i'm thinking make sure it's free wheeling properly,jack it up and spin the wheel by hand.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
the thing will do it on a real slow rotation and speeds up with acceleration, one click/clunk per revolution

Sounds like it may be a stuffed CV joint on the driveshaft.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
time to get another vx ls1 commodore and transfer all the good working bits onto it .then ..sell the money pit commy

Last edited: