Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plenuim cover

commomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
Ok go and ask a Aluminium workshop they should be able to give you some advice

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
You could always pick up a spare plenum cover from the wreckers and take it to a metal polisher.

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Ok here's some hints on sanding and polishing!!!
this is a really simple process and can be done by anyone that hasn't got a clue on what there doing!!!
Firstly I would start with a 800 grit wet and dry, wet it using soapy warm water and sand the cover in a circular motion, please note that this will take a very long time!!! now after about 2 hours of this, move to a 1200 grit wet and dry and repeat for about another 2 hours, finally move on to a 2500 grit wet and dry same process... wash the cover very well, get some "Silvo" from your hardware store this will remove the tiny tiny shards of metal and sand paper grit from the tiny grooves in the cover...
use this silvo with several polishing clothes and follow directions carefully!!!
once done with the Silvo, I would ask your local steel worker about a polishing metal protector that will keep your covers shine with out it being suseptable to finger marks and greases etc that will ruin the finish you've worked hard to achieve..

On another note, is it recommended spraying carby cleaner or TB cleaner into your plenum, i mean with all the gunk build up this will in turn go through your injectors and block them up possibly? wouldn't it be a smarter move to remove the air intake all together if your wanting a good clean?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
On another note, is it recommended spraying carby cleaner or TB cleaner into your plenum, i mean with all the gunk build up this will in turn go through your injectors and block them up possibly? wouldn't it be a smarter move to remove the air intake all together if your wanting a good clean?

It won't go through the injectors, but it does get burnt when you start up the first time.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.

Impurities or foreign matter drawn through the inlet manifold typically will not block an injector, impurities in the fuel supply will. And yes a complete removal of components when cleaning is always going to achieve the best results but most people will not go to this effort for a multitude of valid reasons. Also the cleaning process doesn't involve just opening up the throttle body butterfly and blasting through it with carby cleaner. With the plenum lid removed (as in this instance) you lightly spray it all and give it a minute to soak in, then spray some on a clean rag and wipe it out. As above, any small amount that does go down an intake runner will be quickly burned in the combustion.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
yeah im just gunna spray carby cleaner on a rag and wipe it all down ive alrdy cleaned my tb and intake pipe n all that what wud be easiest way at cleaning the running pipes btw a small brush maybe?