Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plenum Spacer ECOTECH

jiimbo12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY series 2 Equipe 3.8l ecotec V6
Hi I was just wondering if any who HAS ACTUALLY installed a mace plenum spacer could tell me which one to buy with my car having extractors and air intake or IF THEY ACTUALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE. ??????

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Better off saving your money for the next car, young guy I know did this to his ute and said it make jack all difference.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
I have a 25mm manifold spacer.
It might be torqier down low.
Changed the exhaust note a little.
Raised the engine cover. Thats what I noticed.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
all it will do is make a bigger air chamber up top. thus better air spreading. (which makes sense)

for the record a 12mm and 12mm combo will fit and still be able to run the engine cover, JUST.

if you want torque (power is on paper figures) intake manifold spacer would be better.
plenum spacer will probably from my experience just make the throttle response feel better.

after putting the 2 spacers (manifold and plenum) in all i noticed was better throttle feel. and a better refined rev climb.
might have added torque (minimal so questionable) which to me it pulls away a bit harder lower in the revs. (read as. too lazy to gear down)
also from personal experience it helped better fuel economy on big long runs.
with the distanced ive travelled they have paid themselves off already.

however best idea is to search. find out everything you can
then use that info to decide yay or nay.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Your better of fitting the manifold spacer first as the gains are much greater. Also, only use the 12mm plenum spacer for an n/a application. If you use the 25mm item it will slow the airspeed down to much inside the plenum reducing throttle response.

Together the 2 spacers work well. I have both 12mm items on the missus VS and coupled with the cold air intake i've had good gains in fuel economy and it pulls better from standing start. Probably has paid for itself over the years.

Cheers

jiimbo12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY series 2 Equipe 3.8l ecotec V6
Your better of fitting the manifold spacer first as the gains are much greater. Also, only use the 12mm plenum spacer for an n/a application. If you use the 25mm item it will slow the airspeed down to much inside the plenum reducing throttle response.

Together the 2 spacers work well. I have both 12mm items on the missus VS and coupled with the cold air intake i've had good gains in fuel economy and it pulls better from standing start. Probably has paid for itself over the years.

Cheers

Cheers for actually making a normal reply lol
Where u get the manifold spacer from?

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I Run a 12mm manifold spacer.

Function is 2 fold - reduce heat transmitted to plenum (increases density of intake charge, which improves torque) and increase length on intake runner whihc improves torque (a longer intake runner improves torque but dulls throttle response).

note - the holes in the manifold spacer are oversize, and may lead to a little cavitation and turbulence mid manifold. This is BAD with a capital B.

It would be better if they were closely matched to the manifold runner diameter.

As it is, they do provide a better low down torque response and less dull throttle response off idle.

Get them from MACE.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
note - the holes in the manifold spacer are oversize, and may lead to a little cavitation and turbulence mid manifold. This is BAD with a capital B.

It would be better if they were closely matched to the manifold runner diameter.

Yep, that's why when I did the intake manifold gaskets, I bolted the manifold together with the spacer and got to work with the die grinder :D

Steve @ MACE is a forum sponsor, either PM him here on the forum or flick him an email: [email protected]

Cheers