Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Plunging & fixed CV axle drive shafts

JSIN12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Question to anyone knowledgeable about Drive shafts / axles / half shafts / CV shafts (whatever you want to call them)

Have a VX SS with IRS, lowered on King springs with Nolathane camber kit and series 2 revised toe links.

I have a brand new pair of axle shafts that i bought years ago (Machter brand) for VT VX (apparently) that have been sitting in storage for years. Finally got around to attempting to install them.
Whilst trying to install I've noticed that both CV ends of my old shafts are the plunging type CVs (both inner CV and outer CV). But the new ones only one end is plunging other is fixed type (plunging inner, fixed outer)
I only noticed this when the old shafts slid out very easily because both ends plunge, but the new ones are almost impossible to slip in because only one end plunges. I can get them in with great difficulty, but I'm not sure if this is actually a problem or not?

I can't find anything in both the Gregory's, Haynes or Max Ellery service manuals or anywhere online. Searched for a while.

Are both ends supposed to plunge?
Does it even matter?

JSIN12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Another side note i just thought of;
The half shafts that were in my VX SS are actually not the original stock ones. I bought a whole diff and cradle assembly from a VZ Clubsport like 12 years ago and installed all together back then. Those half shafts are either stock for a VZ Clubsport or aftermarket for all i know. But they definitely both plunge at both ends. Maybe both ends plunge to accommodate for being lower? As being lower wouldn't the shafts put more inward pressure on the diff?

Haven't thought to check my other VX (my series 2 V6 Lumina wagon) to see what type of shafts are in that too. That's completely stock, standard height and never been touched.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
They should move in and out at both ends, and should both pivot for angular movement.

I know new CVs can be stiff, but havent heard of a end that won't move. Can you slide the boot to inspect the end that won't move?

JSIN12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
They should move in and out at both ends, and should both pivot for angular movement.

I know new CVs can be stiff, but havent heard of a end that won't move. Can you slide the boot to inspect the end that won't move?
It moves, like it pivots, but it doesn't plunge in or out. Only one end plunges in out.

I've knocked the caps off on both ends to inspect what types of joints they are are one is definitely fixed type non plunging joint and the other end is plunging joint type.

I also spoke with someone yesterday who swears he's never come across a double plunging axle in a VT VX . One end is always non plunging. I got a bit of conflicting information so far.