Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PO174 caused by running out of fuel?

ponyboynz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Corolla
Hi everyone

About to purchase a VE SV6 2013 Z series sedan. Had an independent mechanical check done and car all good except for PO174 error code.
I told the dealer he had to fix this issue before we would purchase the car and I wanted proof that this was done correctly.
He told me he took it to the workshop and they said this was caused by previous owner funning out of fuel while driving it.
Is this true? Could this happen? Can this be detected in a workshop?
Is this error a big issue?

Thanks very much

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Haha. That sounds like a load of BS.

They probably just cleared that DTC but if the problem isn't fixed that code will return after a few run cycles

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
You have to ask yourself if it was related to opening the fuel cap, why wasn't there an error on both engine banks

Your error code implies only 1 bank was affected.

ponyboynz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Corolla
So is it likely to be a big issue? I thought it sounded like BS. I have a 3 month warranty so if I can get the error to replicate then they have to pay for the repairs

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Could still be a simple issue like a vacuum leak but it needs to be diagnosed properly.

Just make sure you make double check that if this does reoccur within the warranty period that it's covered

ponyboynz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Corolla
Yep I double checked and I am going to get them to put it in writing as well, the mechanic I got just said it was an error code, he didn't know how long ago it had occured or for how long it had been an issue, just that there was a error code that had appeared. He couldn't tell me if it was still an issue, just that it had occured at some stage.