Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PO208 and PO308 fault codes

jianakn

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2015 VF Redline manual
I have a VE SS manual with an L98 motor that has done about 175,000 km.

Recently the check engine light came on and the stability control has switched off. Previously, I have had it throw fault codes and supposedly, the issue was the voltage dropped in the battery. The mechanic looked at it, took if for a run. On the first run the problem was there, on the second, it was not, so his best guess was a voltage drop. It did this for two days and then went away. That was two years ago.

Now, I have misfire codes for the 8th cylinder.

a) I have checked the battery and left it on a charger overnight to make doubly sure.

b) I have checked the coil and ignition lead with an inline spark tester – they seem fine.

c) I threw some injector cleaner into the engine and have run it for a while.

d) There are new spark plugs waiting to go into it, but I am also waiting for a new compression tester to turn up as I want to check the compression before I put them in and don’t want to do the job twice.

I want to check the resistance on the injectors but I can’t seem to separate the electrical connector on the injector itself. There is a grey retaining clip on the side, which comes up, but what am missing. Is there a push tab or something to release the connection? If somebody could describe how to do this for me, it would be great.

If anyone has had similar fault codes, what were the causes of the problems?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
P0208 is an injector fault
Common causes are:
Bad injector.....This is usually the cause of this code, but don't rule out the possibility of other causes
Open curcuit in the wiring to the injector
Short in the wiring to the injector
Bad PCM

P0308 is a cylinder misfire
Common causes are:
Faulty spark plug or Spark plug wire
Faulty coil pack
Faulty oxygen sensor or sensors
Faulty fuel injector
Burned out exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

If you have tested the coil & plug lead on cylinder 8 and they have come back as being OK....They can be ruled out as the cause of the misfire
So you'll have to confirm that the P0308 is being caused because of a faulty cylinder 8 injector.

One way to confirm that the cylinder 8 injector is the issue (before just replacing it) is to move that injector to another cylinder, and then see if it throws the relevant fault code for the cylinder it was swapped to. If it does, you will now know with 100% certainty that the injector is faulty and needs to be replaced

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Don't forget, could be a -
A Spark Plug Lead.

Firing Order 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

Spark Plug Wire Resistance 188-312 ohms

Spark Plug Torque 15 N·m or 11 lb ft

Spark Plug Gap 1.02 mm or 0.040 in