Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod filter idea

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Its long been my interpretation that un-shielded pods are defectable, and also are no use if they are just sucking in hot air from around the engine bay. However they are an improvement on airflow, having a greater surface area to suck in air.

On the other side a CAI intake is great for sucking in cold air, but still is hindered by restricted airflow through the filter.

So as you have probably guessed by now, what are your opinions on using a pod filter together with a CAI, with the pod being housed inside the current air box. On top of that I escape being defected because the pod is enclosed, or is it worth paying more and getting a panel K&N (as from what Ive seen pod's are also a LOT cheaper than panel filters). I realise its been asked before, but I couldn't really decide whether it was a good idea or a bad one.

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
i dont know much about this. but in my thinking. it sounds good but what about when your not moving? It will be hard for it to suck in any air. Like i said i dont no much about this but thats what i thought of

aza03

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve series 2 ss
i have got a C.A.I and pod on my vr it works well (a lot better then a panel filter) when you are moving, but if you stop for too long the temperature goes up fast but once you move it also comes down fast. i have used a panel filter and a pod. i would say the pod is better :thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
like aza03, i also have a cai and shielded pod, it works the best out of any combination i have tryed....the down point being it does get a little warm when you stop for too long, but never over half way up the gauge.

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Ah excellent, at least I know its a feasible idea. I just went out and got some dimensions for my box, inlet hole etc. Did you have to mod the top of the box to fit the pod in, or did it slide into where the inlet hole is? And my other question is what size pod did you guys fit into your box? Any recommendations?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
im sorry, you must have misunderstood....i dont have a pod in an airbox...i have a shielded pod (a heat shroud/shield) with a cai running to it.
a pod will never fit in a standard vs v6 air box, they are way too small. you can get larger hsv ones or even vt ones which would allow for a pod though.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
So as you have probably guessed by now, what are your opinions on using a pod filter together with a CAI, with the pod being housed inside the current air box.

Well thats a bit of a Claytons pod... the pod you have when you're not having a pod !

Yes the pod may flow more than a panel air cleaner... but putting it inside the airbox is going to restrict it to what the airbox can effectively flow at.

If the area surrounding the pod inside the airbox is small, then it's flow will be hindered more than just having the panel filter in there...

Best idea is throw the airbox away...and fabricate a larger boxed enclosure out of alloy sheet and have the pod inside that...with cold air induction :thumbsup:

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Hmmm now I can see what your getting at. Well that takes me back to the drawing board, but this time on how I can create my own shield and cold air induction.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
For the almost zilch increase in performance or petrol saving, its not worth the effort. Look for something else to spend your $ and time on.