Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod filter on SIDI 3.0L

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Hey guys,
I decided to fiddle around with my intake and fit a pod filter.

I disconnected the sensor after the air filter and unhooked the airbox. Upon taking the airbox out, I noticed there is a second sensor before the air filter but still in the top half of the box.
I've had a google and from its appearance, the second sensor is a map sensor.

I know I can get some new (same ID) tubing and put in the Maf in the same spot and I should be fine. This map sensor has really thrown me off though.

I'm going to have a look at an SIDI sv6 later today, I believe it won't have this sensor as there are some CAI that work on the 3.6L but not 3.0. I believe this would be due to the extra sensor?

Anyway, ramble ramble. When I go to hook my fully sick pod filter up, what do I do with this sensor? Can I place it behind the pod and be fine?

I assume this is going to be a "give it a go and see what happens thing" or a "no"

I'll update the post later today.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Not so sure it would be a MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor all that distance from the manifold? Is it maybe an incoming air temp sensor. You can obviously tell I'm guessing also.

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Hey mate, update time.

I checked a friend's SIDI z series 3.6 and it does not have this sensor.

I've gone home, taken the pod out and put the stock airbox back in. Turned the car on, Check engine light. Disconnected the battery for 10 and turned her back on. No light, all good.

I've disconnected what I thought was the map sensor and no check engine light.

I'm going to take it for a drive without it and see how it goes.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Pretty sure it's an air intake temperature sensor as mentioned above, why exactly do u want to put a pod filter on it?

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Update again, drove it without the sensor and its not throwing errors. Did some highway and city.

Honestly, I'm bored and I like how they sound. I changed my exhaust and its not as loud as it was in the upper rev range and the filter fills in that gap for me. I'm just changing things for the sake of changing them.

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Relocated the sensor to next to the blue wiper cap and no check engine lights thus far

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Removed the pod filter as it was as I was driving without a MAF. V1 in the bin.

V2 build.

Went to the wreckers and bought an SIDI airbox, cut the MAF sensor mount out and did some ghetto work. The pod filter is mounted with some rubber, hose clamps and a tiny bit of PVC from Bunnings, with the airflow sensor in its original location. Relocated the air temp sensor closer to the pod. The induction noise is significantly louder with this set up (less rubber, to absorb the sound)

Will build a heatshield from some sheet metal for the time being.

For the future, I have one of these on the way and I will get some aluminum tubing (unless someone can give me a better alternative) and mount the pod filter closer to the headlight.
Tempted to use my fog light hole for cold air though I think I will need to find a way to open/close it depending on weather conditions.

For anyone interested, I have not noticed any performance gain (as you would expect). It does seem to hesitate less but that could be in my head.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Care to share a photo of it :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Xardoniak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International
Care to share a photo of it :)

The ghetto is incoming...
b-VOe-Z8F91SMyJoOwQu6xfyKrz7Rw4glcXMnKWeixXzN5roKV40HJiKFFaxrSjd5aY4Uiu70w=w1524-h957-no