Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod filter ways better

Tawh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vu ss
Hi what's better a pod filter or stock intake on 2002 vu ls1.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I highly recommend the Mace CAI.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Define better.
There are plenty of tests that prove stock filters are just as effective at flowing air in all but extreme mods.

Pod filters may flow better at very high volumes, but the trade off is filtering effectiveness.

Pods sounds better, for sure. Other than that unless you inlet manifold vacuum increases at full throttle it’s a waste.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I fitted a Mace CAI and the torque definitely improved. I know because I tow a trailer weighing around 900kg loaded. Prior to the Mace CAI it would take a lot more throttle to get moving. After fitting the Mace it pulls like a bastard. So even though science suggests one thing I can say for sure the Mace kit works way better than a stocker, even with some basic mods.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
VS has had a dry pod for 10yrs no problems.

Mace kit

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
An exposed pod filter sitting straight on the throttle body will actually lose power as all your doing is sucking the hot air in straight from the engine, it's also not legal in some parts of the country.

The factory airbox or the MACE kit will do a much better job as it's actually drawing in cold air from the front of the engine.

Cold air = More power
Hot air = Less power.

By moving the air filter directly into the engine bay all you are doing is shooting yourself in the foot.

I went from the stock airbox to the MACE enclosed pod setup, much more responsive and sounds great.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vcm otr...can get them to suit mafless otr if tuned or with maf & stock tune with different intake tube.

Mace sell vcm brand at what seemed like cheapest price at the time.

Probably not a huge difference on street cars but prefer otr setups on ls cars especially if done usual exhaust/mafless tune + otr mods

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
VS motor pod
jUHI7MG.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Define better.
There are plenty of tests that prove stock filters are just as effective at flowing air in all but extreme mods.

Pod filters may flow better at very high volumes, but the trade off is filtering effectiveness.

Pods sounds better, for sure. Other than that unless you inlet manifold vacuum increases at full throttle it’s a waste.

Technically you are correct, the stock filter flows fairly much the same as a pod, unfortunately the standard airbox and intake restrict the system. I do agree though, if you are driving in very dusty environments a dry pod filter may not be ideal, in all other conditions it's not really a problem.