Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod Filters?

Discussion in 'V8 Development and Modification' started by mike49, Apr 15, 2009.

1. mike49

mike49 New Member

Members Ride:
    VR, VX, VN Commodore's
    do Pod filters really make a noticable difference in power and fuel consumption?

cheers

2. 96SEN8R

96SEN8R New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS and VS Senator 215i
    A pod will give you a little bit of both (maybe 3 or 4 kw) with a nice induction note

3. ScoHar

ScoHar Jizz in my pants

Members Ride:
    VS Senator
    would be best to try and enclose the pod away from the engine bay heat

4. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    depends on the engine really. if the standard filter is restrictive then yes a POD will increase power. this is generally true on FI setups. on stock(ish) engines a POD filter generally increases throttle response and increased induction noise. not really sure if it gives a marked increase in actual power.

really you want to consider a high quality CAI as this will give much greater gains then a simple filter change

5. mike49

mike49 New Member

Members Ride:
    VR, VX, VN Commodore's
    thanks for the replys :D

6. Morton

Morton For external use only

Members Ride:
    Fairstar the Funship
    If you chuck the pod in the engine bay, you'll find worse fuel economy. Hot air does that. :)

7. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Disco
    to quote the all mighty Morton from another thread

8. Jesterarts

Jesterarts Your freedom ends where mine begins

Members Ride:
    2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
    POD filters... again? seriously?? We need to just make a stick thread about POD filters...

Yes they can improve fuel economy and give better throttle response IF they are correctly installed within a heat shield so they don't just suck hor air from the engine bay.

Though they are illegal... by ADR regulations.. thus in all states IF they have an oiled reusable filter... as having an oiled filter un-enclosed in the engine bay.. is illegal. Same as alot of OTRCAI's.

ANd finally... your just better for getting a better flowing panel filter and putting that in the air box with a better CAI... better result... less hassle.

9. Paiste402

Paiste402 My workin on the car face

Members Ride:
    1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
    BAM right on. The pod only gets better performance cause its not enclosed and is free breathing. Put a pod into the same intake box as ur flat filter and you wont notice a thing cause only so much air can get into the box. Seriously, get a good flat filter and customise the intake box (maybe cut a larger hole and make a better/wider cold air intake). Its all about more air getting to the engine easier.

10. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

If done properly, a boxed pod fitler will out perform a modified factory air filter assembly no problems. If you want an EPA freindly filter best to get a SAAS item which can be run oilless as used in all of our kits. Also MAF safe as well, important if you have a VSIII or a VTI ;)

11. STEALTHY™

STEALTHY™ So Wet For You!

Members Ride:
    VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
    Cost to performance ratio tho......

To have a custom box bad to suit the pod will cost hundreds.
    Standard holden CAI and KnN filter can be had for $100

12. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    I run the same setup as just about everyone else, just a big pipe from the front bar to the standard airbox, pretty much non improvable in real world performance. You need to run a good filter for all the crap you suck up in it but apart from that it's full of win, The air pressure on the front bar is enough to cancel out a good filter anyway

13. Morton

Morton For external use only

Members Ride:
    Fairstar the Funship
    lol greenfoam, you're not wrong about the crap you suck up :p I buy a new filter every few months when I drive regularly.

14. pedrotski

pedrotski Big Stato!!

Members Ride:
    95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
    pics of this pipe. i was plannning on doing this. **** the ss induction crap off

15. vncruzr

vncruzr Member

Members Ride:
    VY LS1
    agree with greenfoam, best CAI i ever had cost me 20bucks from Bunnings!!!! As for oiled filters, yeah i found they cost a penny and all they did was oil up my air flow meters. I think you can google test results on different filters and i tell you what there's nothing wrong with the old delco from Holden!!!

16. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Not if you make the box yourself ;) I can can guarantee that it will work better then any modded factory box ever would, given the air flow characteristics of the pod filter vs the panel filter assembly.

Sadly pod filters have been given a bad name because most often people just install them without making any sort of effcient enclosure :(

I mean honestly how many people here have actually run an efficient pod setup on their 5L before?

17. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    I've seen a few around at the drags, there's also a few guys on here with enclosed pods but non of them are making any better time that I am with a panel filter. The majority of 5 litres in Melbourne run a 100mm pipe under the car much like this one joined to either a panel in a sealed box of pod in a sealed box, the filter itself doesn't seem to be worth any real pace. The pipe is for sure YouTube - White statesman burnout at Easternats 2009 That cars actually a mild stroker with a home made manifold but still that's how most serious guys run them some guys even run 2 pipes aka circuit racer style one each side of the car for the awesome induction sound :)

18. calaiscruzer

calaiscruzer I drink beer, and I vote!

Members Ride:
    Atlas Grey VN SS
    We need a whole section "FAQ on Pod filters"
    But I do miss the throaty sound(not sucking sound) or a good pod.
    Thhhrrrrrrooooooooppp

19. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    don't know about the humble 5L, but my POD setup is about as good as it gets on a V6 and would be very easy to mod to suit the V8 setup.

i a gree with greenfoam however, when it comes the CAI (and no standard/POD filter works properly without one) that the 100mm ducted pipe coming up from under the gaurd is a winner

come on now Foam, your car (and you) are a freak of nature and i'm sure your car has more "tricks" under the bonnet then most that help those times you get.

20. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    I've had alot of people question the car lately especaily since that new exhaust has been on it from people both on the net and that I've taken for a ride that the car has more work done to it than I say it does, but really everything from the radiator to the header flanges to the top of the manifold to the gearbox is 100% stock and worn out, pretty much everything outside that box is not. Lots and lots of little things, almost everything has been off the car at some stage and nothing has gone back on without some kind of tweak/smoothen or polish up, it all adds up