Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

POD Installation in AirBOX

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey guys,
Just want to pitch an idea i had after reading the threads about POD's And CAI's.

I want to mount a K&N pod filter in my existing airbox...

I pretty much want to replace the current panel filter with a piece of thick plastic. I then wanna cut a hole in the plastic and mount the pod filter on the plastic using a adapter kit...

I got a diagram attached if i haven't explained anything properly..

Any ideas, critisism etc...

Last edited:

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
nice, had the same thing going in my eb, except i cut a hole in the side of the box, put an adaptor on and she was all good.
I won't be doing it to me vt though im trying out a k&n panel filter to see how they go and so far i haven't noticed any change in anything, when i put the pod on the eb(6cyl) there was a more noticable induction sound, rose up the rev range a lil quicker and sounded a hell of alot beefier and kept the car running a lil bit cooler to.
i also noticed when i had the pod out in the open ie. no box, it didn't sound as tough, it ran hotter, and wasn't as quick off the mark.

anyway if you want to, do your setup it's a good way of doing it.:thumbsup:

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Let me know how you go mate. I was thinking about something like that for mine.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah, might be abit before i get onto making that now....
About an hour ago jst after washing my car i went for a drive and hit a pole...
car lost, pole won...

Now im gonna get a good 600 -700 bux lighter...
So my exhaust and intake plans are on hold...
Soon as i can afford it though i will get back onto doin the exhaust and intake...
After that im gonna leave my car the way it is for a while...

Damn stupid pole.... sigh

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
I doubt you'd get any noticeable gains with that setup over a panel filter. You may even lose some power. Due to the turbulance of taking air in from CAI to pod, then entering another open air cavity, back into piping again. The air wouldn't flow particularly well.

At best that setup would flow just the same as a panel filter, because your CAI would limit the amount of air the airbox can take in.

Moving your pod to the front of the car behind the headlights, and shielding it from heat there would yield much better gains.

Its a good looking idea for a stealth setup, but for the effort, its simply not worth it.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Ive been thinking about it for a while now in my VT.
Ive got a few pics of what to do.
The VT airbox lid has a nice round pipe going into it, all you need to do is get a peice of plumbers pipe, bend it a little with a heat gun and glue that in the lid.
The pod goes on the end of the plumbers pipe.
Resized_IMGP1814.jpg

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
ProphetVX said:
I doubt you'd get any noticeable gains with that setup over a panel filter. You may even lose some power. Due to the turbulance of taking air in from CAI to pod, then entering another open air cavity, back into piping again. The air wouldn't flow particularly well.

At best that setup would flow just the same as a panel filter, because your CAI would limit the amount of air the airbox can take in.

Moving your pod to the front of the car behind the headlights, and shielding it from heat there would yield much better gains.

Its a good looking idea for a stealth setup, but for the effort, its simply not worth it.
Do you think you would get more cool air from behind the headlight than from the standard cold air intake?

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
TigerVX said:
Do you think you would get more cool air from behind the headlight than from the standard cold air intake?
What I meant by the post I wrote was.

If you want to run a CAI setup, to your airbox, then a panel filter setup would be the most effective.

If you want to run a pod setup, then fitting it behind the headlights shielded would be the most effective.

With that design, there are simply too many piping to open air cavity situations to make the air flow well and provide any gains.

If you run a shielded pod, drawing air from underneath the car, once the car is moving, the air wouldn't be much warmer than from a CAI, but ur still drawing in up to 4 times the amount of air, making for better throttle response.

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hmmmm....
What would happen if also i cut out the headlight facing side of the air box??
What way the pod would be getting air from the CAI and the engine bay...?

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Jesterarts said:
Hmmmm....
What would happen if also i cut out the headlight facing side of the air box??
What way the pod would be getting air from the CAI and the engine bay...?
What you would be better off doing IMO if you have your heart set on this idea would be to scrap the two section idea of your airbox

and have your piping run from the TB straight into the airbox going directly to the pod which is placed centrally(distance from each wall is equal). Having an enlarged hole (preferably 3-4 inches) in the bottom of your airbox running to a type s CAI.

That would flow best, and not draw in heat from the engine bay.

This way it only has one air cavity causing turbulence, but its open enough for the pod to draw air in effectively. The CAI needs to be larger than standard though to handle the extra air taken in.

Here is a diagram if I didn't explain it too well

Attachments

• Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 367