Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Poking hole in rubber grommet for power lead

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Oh I didn't say you couldn't laugh about it :D In fact, make sure you come on here and let us all know!

I might actually see if I can cut a hole through one of the grommets with stuff already going through, if it's too difficult to be worth the effort I'll drill the clutch grommet.

Thanks for the help guys :D

Actually, one more question:

Where is the best place to mount an amp in a station wagon? I'm thinking under the passenger seat...

sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
i've got mine in the back for now, still tossing up where to mount it but thinking of making a shelf to sit on the wheel wells and secure it to there. It depends on how much you use the back.

Also less chance of it getting kicked and knocked around when sliding the seat back and forward.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Well I bought a wagon to cart a drumkit around in... But it's probably better being in the back I suppose.

Thanks for the tip ;).

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Hey fellas, just another question to add to this. For anyone that's taken the clutch grommet off and then drilled through you would have seen how big the actual hole is in the metal behind the grommet. The question i have here is, how big is that hole in the metal itself? Big enough to fit 2 runs of 0 gauge through? *waits for 12volt to get up me for using 0 awg* :p. I've got a load of the stuff sitting around and want a run for my sub amp and the other existing run is connected to a distribution block in the boot which i have my other amp hooked up to and am using the other outputs for other electrical devices in the boot.

Obviously the hole in the metal in which the grommet is mounted can't be quite as big as the grommets perimeter or the grommet would have nothing to mount to and cover up. So, the question as it's stands, 2 runs of 0 gauge through that single clutch grommet, yes i see it fitting through the grommet itself, but does the metal hole behind it allow enough space? Cheers, Bryce.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Well the stereo is in! I now have a new question:

The splits in the front doors: Is this a 6" and 1" arrangement? Would I be able to fit a 4" VDO 2-way speaker in where the top split is? Would this be beneficial, and what sort of REASONABLE priced woofers should I look at for the front doors? I just want a straight swap, no fiddling around cutting stuff to fit a 6.5" speaker in.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
DavidPartay said:
Well the stereo is in! I now have a new question:

The splits in the front doors: Is this a 6" and 1" arrangement? Would I be able to fit a 4" VDO 2-way speaker in where the top split is? Would this be beneficial, and what sort of REASONABLE priced woofers should I look at for the front doors? I just want a straight swap, no fiddling around cutting stuff to fit a 6.5" speaker in.

The factory speakers in a VX are 6" in the front and the back doors and if you have splits the tweeters are mounted just underneath that plastic panel that runs across underneath the windscreen....
So if you bought a set of 6" splits then no modification necessary as long as the midrange speaker (the one in the door) is not to deep.....

Oh and too answer your question about the VDO speaker it will not fit where the tweeter is. However you can fit it in the door, to do this you will have to make up a baffle plate for the speaker to mount to (time consuming and not worth it).......

Hope this helps.......cheers

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Also note many 6.5" splits will fit without modification too, but to be safe go with 6"s. Anybody got an answer for my question by chance? :)

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brycestro said:
Also note many 6.5" splits will fit without modification too, but to be safe go with 6"s. Anybody got an answer for my question by chance? :)

Sorry Brycestro, but i have never tried to run 2 lots of 0 awg through the firewall......so i really cant tell you... i know the clutch grommet has a hole approx 5mm under the size of the rubber grommet itself so maybe that may help.....cheers

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
ah ok no worries. When you say 5mm i'm assuming you mean that the rubber extends approximately 5mm out from the hole cut in the metal for the whole perimeter of the metal hole? I'm thinking it might be an idea to pull it off and have a look though. What did everyone use? Just a chisel or screwdriver to pry it straight off?

Also is it physically glued on or does it just squeeze in tight? (If glued, what has everyone used to reattach it afterwards). Cheers, Bryce.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brycestro said:
ah ok no worries. When you say 5mm i'm assuming you mean that the rubber extends approximately 5mm out from the hole cut in the metal for the whole perimeter of the metal hole? I'm thinking it might be an idea to pull it off and have a look though. What did everyone use? Just a chisel or screwdriver to pry it straight off?

Also is it physically glued on or does it just squeeze in tight? (If glued, what has everyone used to reattach it afterwards). Cheers, Bryce.

Just use a screwdriver or chisel whichever you can get your hands on.

Normally to put a hole in the grommet i use a steak knife, and just cut a cross formation in the grommet, then while the knife is still in the grommet i spray some wd40 of some crc on the grommet and the blade of the knife, thereby allowing the knife to come out easily without pulling the grommet out.....works everytime......

The grommet is held in by two protruding pieces of rubber which hold it in place, if you take it off you will know what i mean ...... Hope this helps....cheers