Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Police Pack

jimbo39aus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11 Executive ex Cop
Just go to "search" and look for "Police Option Codes" and you will find a copy of the spec sheet for my VY11 V6 Exec ex cop car.

No surprises there at. Though it is more like an Acclaim rather than an exec with the add ons in the cop pack.

Jimbo....

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what are the police enhancements done to a car and how do I tell if they have been done?

Im in the process of buying a VY II SS which the log book says was previously owned by Victoria police.. so Im curious if it would still have any of their modifications..

All help appreciated.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I have heard the VE SS cop cars are going to be 300kw out of the factory.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
There are advantages of buying an ex police vehicle as well as disadvantages. If I ever knew anyone who wanted to buy one I'd suggest they spend a week at work with me then they'd probably change their mind.

It all depends on where it came from and what it was used for. Cars to definately steer clear of:

All your 6 cyc models, including your Falcons and Commodores - especially if they're white! They were probably used as a general duties patrol vehicle and would have been flogged. We aren't very kind to our cars that's why they're breaking down quite often. I've seen at least one car come up with the transmission error on the display and put itself into limp mode and wouldn't go any quicker than 20k's.

The SS Holdens (ex TMU) generally aren't too bad. After being in general duties and jumping into an SS I was astounded at how neat clean and tidy it was. Most TMUs look after their cars as they need to be 100% reliable at all times. If there's ever a slight feeling of something not right the car is written off as faulted and doesn't go out on the road until the problem is fixed. They're pursuit vehicles and having a wheel fall off, or similar, at 200 km/h is rather dangerous.

General 6 cyc cars (other than white) would be ok as well as they've been used by other areas of VicPol just for commuting to jobs and other types of transport.

We get rid of our cars once they hit 60000ks. My station just got rid of a BA Falcon thats time was up and by the time we were finished with it, it had a number of nicks in the trim and a very pingy engine.

Also, to put some rumours to rest - Do you really think that a government department that's already having its resources overstretched is going to spend $$$ on vehicle modifications? If they were doing that then they'd have enough to buy more cars so we didn't have to use our own cars to go about our work and to attend court etc.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
i bought my vyss just over a month ago, i didn't relise its an ex cop car (TMU) untill one of the guys at work pointed out the differences in it to a standard ss, these were the holes in the boot for the vest and rifle racks, the digital speedo starts of at 0km(apparently doesn't in factory standard vy's), it has been dyno tested so the speedo is dead accurate, still has some wirring connectors in it, like the earth connector for the sirens and lights and the wirring cable for the computer they use, it is very clean and looks like a brand new ss, it has a metal bash plate on the front instead of the aluminium one they apparently have from holden, has a button in it just behind the window switches for the lights to be turned off(apparently not a standard feature from factory), but no performance mods, just little mods like the speedo, metal bash plate, etc. i think there were a couple more but i can't remember right now.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
y do people want ex police cars. sure there 3-5 grand cheaper but they get flogged from the word go ie. never get driven nicely when cold, ran over gutters and just generally not taken care of.

I don't know, but if you know what you're looking for then you can identify where the car came from and if your brave make a few phone calls. My car was a HWP supervisors car in the bush and hardly got driven hard at all. The ocaisional high speed squirt down the highway, but was never in a pursuit or a prang.

It the luck of the draw I guess, all cars could have been flogged sensless, its just more likely that ex-police cars have been. Mine now has 128,000 on the clock and only needs new shocks. Other than that its in really good nick and hasn't given me a drama otherthan the usuall, faulty petrol gauge (God Damn U Holden...)

But as VicCop said, the pic of the lot are really ex-hwp cars as they are really much better taken care of, and lets faec it V8's can take a bit more abuse that their V6 counterparts.

GD's cars?

Oh dear!!! :bang:

Second hand private/company Falcons & Commies with low k's of all types are pretty cheap nowadays anyhow, best off trying to find one owned by St Barnaby's Church or something... :D

ford2holden

Keven
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6 executive
I just bought a vy1 yesterday and yes it was a ex detective car from qld
police in Brisbane .Its got all the nice things,4 power windows ,cruise,Lsd
and i noticed on start up it displays setup as it cycles through its diagnostic
tests.I am hungry for power ,i may muck around once i find info on how to work it.When we bought it it had no book for the car so im a learning.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
I just bought a vy1 yesterday and yes it was a ex detective car from qld
police in Brisbane .Its got all the nice things,4 power windows ,cruise,Lsd
and i noticed on start up it displays setup as it cycles through its diagnostic
tests.I am hungry for power ,i may muck around once i find info on how to work it.When we bought it it had no book for the car so im a learning.

A CIU car - a great choice. After all, it would only have been used to go to the pub and/or the golf course :yeah: . Maybe the odd crime scene but wouldn't have been in a hurry to get there as CI detectives are the last to arrive and first ones to leave.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Stock apart from having digital speedo enabled.

ford2holden

Keven
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6 executive
Not to worry anyway,if it was a 'd' car ,its better than our old ef falcon
too much sideways i think.At least i can scare all my mates thinkin they are about to be raided.It worked the other day.My kids love it ,so does the wife
and after all its only a family car anyway.I love actually havin a working aircon for once too, bloomin brilliant.At not havin to smack the dash to get it to fire up is a real bargain ,after all its not a ef falcon.