Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Police Response To Springnats

addo

Reaction score
SHEPPARTON GEARS UP FOR SPRING NATS

With Spring Car Nationals just a few months away, the Greater Shepparton City Council and Shepparton Police are again throwing their support behind the event.

Mayor Jenny Houlihan says that the Council and police are delighted to be working with organisers to ensure a successful and enjoyable event.

“We’ve been very pleased with the behaviour of visitors to the area in recent years and we believe that the introduction of a total alcohol ban in public places over that weekend has made a difference,” says Cr Houlihan.

“The Council and the police were concerned about the behaviour of a minority of people and there is no question that alcohol has played a significant part in many of the undesirable incidents that have occurred in the past.

“The total alcohol ban has contributed substantially to the success of the weekend from the perspective of many people, particularly within the local community.

“Shepparton is proud to host such a fantastic event that draws so many tourists to our area.

“Spring Car Nationals is by far the biggest event on Shepparton’s calendar, attracting up to 30,000 people over three days, and generates over $14 million of direct economic benefit for the community. The indirect benefit is almost twice that figure.”

Shepparton Police Divisional Road Safety Liaison Officer, Senior Sergeant Des Wright says that police have been working closely with event organisers and were pleased to see competitors and car enthusiasts were really well behaved last year.

“The good behaviour we have seen means that police numbers will not be increased from last year,” says Senior Sergeant Wright.

“However, this year the police have the power to impound vehicles which breach the new Vehicle Impoundment Legislation.

“The legislation targets high speed drivers as well as disqualified drivers and ‘hoon’ drivers.

“Police will be using this new legislation wisely and will only implement the legislation where it is absolutely necessary.

“We do not want to see a situation where police are impounding cars just because they can – this is powerful legislation and we will be using it intelligently.

“We would be delighted if this new legislation was not used at all.

“As with other years our message to the public is the same – if you do the right thing and drive carefully the police won’t be a problem for you.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
impounding cars, good. get rid of the hacks causing trouble

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
So it makes $14m, $10m is in fines and canaries. Sadly mate I will be trailering the car up as its the only way.
Hope the event is better then last year, I feel it has declined since the good ol days.
AirStrike :air:

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
$10m in fines & canaries? Well that just shows how dumb people can be dosn't it? I mean why do stupid **** at an event like this? of course cops will hound them, its called common sense

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Charg'd (sexy vn chick lover) said:
$10m in fines & canaries? Well that just shows how dumb people can be dosn't it? I mean why do stupid **** at an event like this? of course cops will hound them, its called common sense
Nah you wont understand unless you've been brent. They get people for stupid things. They just go up and down the main drag pulling everyone over. Fines I can understand (most of them) but the canaries nope.
The figures were a joke mate.
Pisses me off that we car enthusiests bring this amount of revenue into the town ($14m for a small town like Shep is huge) yet they arnt lenient at all.
but enough on this, just cause more arguments everytime this topic comes up (re: SC)
AirStrike :air:

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
ill agree too disagree, i dont wanna start a **** fight

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
AirStrike said:
Hope the event is better then last year, I feel it has declined since the good ol days.

Yeah, last year was a bit slow. All the years ive been to shep i noticed that last year was the coldest. usually it was tank top or no top. but alot of people were wearing T-shirts.

the 3rd year i went up my mate pulled over to look for the headunit remote( he dropped it). The cop does a U turn flashs his light (even though we were already pulled over) he went over the car tryin to find defects, but the car was recently purchased and had just had a roady done and things like suspension,hoses etc were all new. in the end he was a nice guy and gave us a bit of warning on removing the fluffy dice from the mirror because other cop will give you a hard time with it.

i agree with you too airstrike. they wait along the main drag like a taxi line. 3-4 cops sit and wait till sum one slips and they take off, then the next chaser moves foward and waits. it upsets me when i see an old '57 chev gettin done for being to low or the safety of the car doesnt pass when you know a car like that only sees the road on a blue sunday.

P

Peak Revs

the locals are the worse offenders for hooning at springnats

addo

Reaction score
SHEPPARTON GEARS UP FOR SPRING NATS

With Spring Car Nationals just a few months away, the Greater Shepparton City Council and Shepparton Police are again throwing their support behind the event.

Chief Executive Officer Bob Laing says that the Council and police are delighted to be working with organisers to ensure a successful and enjoyable event.

“We’ve been very pleased with the behaviour of visitors to the area in recent years and we believe that the introduction of a total alcohol ban in public places over that weekend has made a difference,” says Mr Laing.

“The Council and the police were concerned about the behaviour of a minority of people and there is no question that alcohol has played a significant part in many of the undesirable incidents that have occurred in the past,” he says.

“The total alcohol ban has contributed substantially to the success of the weekend from the perspective of many people, particularly within the local community,” says Mr Laing.

“Shepparton is proud to host such a fantastic event that draws so many tourists to our area,” he says.

Shepparton Police District Inspector Graham Wigg says that police have been working closely with event organisers and it was pleasing to see competitors and car enthusiasts were really well behaved last year.

“The good behaviour we have seen means that police numbers will not be increased from last year,” says District Inspector Wigg.