Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Police using Emergency Lights to get home quicker

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Travelling the Bruce H Way north between Carseldine and Caloundra last night I had two unmarked and two marked Police cars pass me at different times and places, between 11.15pm and 12 midnight, all using emergency lights, although oddly they did not all keep them on unless coming up to a vehicle, two did, two didn't, and the speed they were doing was probably only 15-20 more than the gazetted speed judging by the time it took for them to get ahead of me, so I have to wonder if they were simply using them as a means to justify their speed at the time in order to get home a little quicker.
I am also aware if they go through a speed trap etc, they can be asked to explain their speed if their emergency lights are not on.

No doubt if I were to question it through the Police channels I would be told they were heading to a job (all 4 of them at that time of night going such a distance ? yea sure)

I have seen this before where Police use emergency lights for this situation, and to cross against a red light when no other traffic is around, and then simply turn off the lights and proceed at gazetted speed, but again I am not stupid enough to believe if I raised it, I would not be told the officer was responding to a job which was then cancelled.

I am also not stupid enough to believe there is not a rule for them and a rule for us.

One of the marked cars actually caught me unawares coming over a ridge and I was passing a slower vehicle which decided to speed up and hang me out, so I had no choice but to speed up to get past and let the police past.
Be interesting to see if I get something in the mail in a couple of weeks.

Anyone seen this situation before ?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Might have been a special on at Macca's...

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Travelling the Bruce H Way north between Carseldine and Caloundra last night I had two unmarked and two marked Police cars pass me at different times and places, between 11.15pm and 12 midnight, all using emergency lights, although oddly they did not all keep them on unless coming up to a vehicle, two did, two didn't, and the speed they were doing was probably only 15-20 more than the gazetted speed judging by the time it took for them to get ahead of me, so I have to wonder if they were simply using them as a means to justify their speed at the time in order to get home a little quicker.
I am also aware if they go through a speed trap etc, they can be asked to explain their speed if their emergency lights are not on.

No doubt if I were to question it through the Police channels I would be told they were heading to a job (all 4 of them at that time of night going such a distance ? yea sure)

I have seen this before where Police use emergency lights for this situation, and to cross against a red light when no other traffic is around, and then simply turn off the lights and proceed at gazetted speed, but again I am not stupid enough to believe if I raised it, I would not be told the officer was responding to a job which was then cancelled.

I am also not stupid enough to believe there is not a rule for them and a rule for us.

One of the marked cars actually caught me unawares coming over a ridge and I was passing a slower vehicle which decided to speed up and hang me out, so I had no choice but to speed up to get past and let the police past.
Be interesting to see if I get something in the mail in a couple of weeks.

Anyone seen this situation before ?

If the same applies in Australia as it does in NZ , in would be highly unlikely , police cars are GPS'd to the gunnels , so the Sergeants and district Commanders know what you are up to , as well police comms , they will know if your blues and twos are on , and also where and at what speed you are currently driving at , if an officer was doing what you say through a red light in New Zealand , they'd certainly get a bollicking for it . Probably by me , if I was still serving .

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
The fact that there were two of them probably indicates they were going to a job. The likelihood of two disobeying the rules post-Fitzgerald is probably unlikely.

If it was pre- Fitzgerald the likely hood probably would have been that they themselves would have been going to rob a bank or do a drug deal.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The fact that there were two of them probably indicates they were going to a job. The likelihood of two disobeying the rules post-Fitzgerald is probably unlikely.

If it was pre- Fitzgerald the likely hood probably would have been that they themselves would have been going to rob a bank or do a drug deal.

No, as I said, there were actually 4, 2 unmarked and 2 marked, and the unmarked cars both passed me twice, the Izuzu after pulling into the BP at Morayfield, and I passed the Pajero when it was on the service road at the twin Shells further up, both cars then passed me a second time, so that is what made me believe they were not really in a hurry going to job, in fact I believe they were possibly going home somewhere north after being traffic control for the Queens Batten Relay for the Commonwealth Games.
The relay went through the Sunny Coast last week and through Brisbane Good Friday during the day.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I work in a regional area where there is a lot of car accidents in the area on a mountain highway.

I see emergency cars/trucks of all types throwing their lights on only when they are in the area of other cars and intersections and have them off when no one is around and it's obvious they're responding to an incident as often they're in packs.

No big deal and if they're only going 20 over - who cares?