Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Polished Steering Surround.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
I'm doing a little tidying up on my V8 Calais.I've removed the poxy, twisting factory steering wheel 4 a sports steering wheel later on but 4 now I'll run with my old spare SL steering wheel.Gunna replace the upper & lower bearings on the steering shaft.As the steering lock housing is removed atm I was gunna give it a sanding up 2 remove any paint then gradually polish up with finer sandpapaer until it's a fully chromed housing.I've seen it on tuff WB stato, I thought it looked wild.I'll slap up a pic when I refit it...

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Whilst you are talking about steering columns...

My steering wheel/column was shifting about a 1/4 inch since I have had the car and I got a new upper steering column bearing from Holden, so genuine part. Anyway, I replace it and it's still the dang same! The movement is there still. Is this normal for VK Calais'? I don't know what else to check.

Cheers.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Mine wasn't too bad & had only slight side 2 side movement.I was just replacing them while I was there.As far as I know you shouldn't have any movement considering you've replaced the top bearing.It maybe the lower bearing because if worn it would still allow movement but more towards the bottom.

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
I had a bit of movement in mine after putting in the clutch+brake pedal box, theres a single bolt (might be a nut on auto pedal boxes) which secures the steering column to the pedal box.

Difficult to explain, but you might want to get under there and check that its tight.