Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

polishing car- how ofter do you do it?

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
my cars lucky to get a wash at least once a year let alone a polish
it's also lucky to get put in the garage

probably explains why the clear coat is starting to peel on it and it's only 4 years old

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
You really shouldn't offer detailing advice unless you give clear detailed advice. 'Polishing' is a very general term that the average car owner rarely fully understands.

Firstly, if you detailed your car properly the first time you should NOT need to do it on a weekly basis. Polishing involves the removal of defects and blemishes in the paint. You mean to tell me that your car has new paint defects every week? Polish then seal with a quality wax. Then all you will need to do is a simply wash each week. At most use a good quality spray wax after each wash. That should do you for at least a couple of months.

Next, the advice of people will cut through the paint with a machine is a little naive. You should give advice on the types of machines to use. A rotary in the hands of an amateur isn't too smart but a good quality orbital sander with foam velcro backed buffing pads is completely safe. An orbital cannot generate enough heat to burn through paint. Unless you hold it on one spot for 5 minutes at max speed.

Telling people that old t-shirts are perfect is just wrong. You're likely to be putting in more scratches which may explain why you need to do it each week. Best thing to use is microfiber buffing pads or cloths.

If people want to learn about the detailing process there's a sticky in the 'General' section called 'Detailing Tip and Tricks'. Read what I have to say there or take to the sponsor 'Car Care Product.

MATE DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOUR, AND DO IT BY HAND THE FIRST TIME. YOU WILL CUT THROUGH YOUR PAINT WITH A MACHINE!!!!!!

maybe later use the machine, once you know what you are doing. once you cut through....its respray time.

its not anything complicated. if you never polished it before then it may pay for you to get a cut and polish initially, use a sponge similar to ones you wash you car with (not the same one of course), and apply a little polish on it, then spread over a section of paint, then keep doing it until all the paint is covered in a FINE film of polish. (you dont have to bog it on). then get a few old rags (old tshirts perfect) and buff it off contantly turning rag over so an unsoiled part of rag rubs the polish off. becasue you never done it before the first time will require a lot of effort (good workout!) to get polish off. your paint wil look heaps better after this. you only should CUT and polish it once as it is very abrasive.

but you need to seal it so then you get normal polish (merguirs, turtle wax etc) and do the whole process again, but because this polish is not abrasive like cut and polish, it will be much easier to buff off.

you wont know your car once you done this....just make sure you use plenty of rags when buffing off or it wont shine properly if you use only one rag over large sections of the car.

you seen the title...how often do you do it? i do it once a week. i dont do it in 5 stages, just wash car, dry it, polish it with one application. i even polish my rims with same car polish. i have missed the odd week for extremly busy weekends, but i may miss 4 -6 weeks in a whole year.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I polish once a year, usually in summer, and wax maybe twice a year. Once right after the polish, and again halfway through the year.

If you wash your car at the gurney, keep the hose a long way from your car, and wash with your own bucket and sponge. That way your wax will last longer :)

jphanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
You really shouldn't offer detailing advice unless you give clear detailed advice. 'Polishing' is a very general term that the average car owner rarely fully understands.

Firstly, if you detailed your car properly the first time you should NOT need to do it on a weekly basis. Polishing involves the removal of defects and blemishes in the paint. You mean to tell me that your car has new paint defects every week? Polish then seal with a quality wax. Then all you will need to do is a simply wash each week. At most use a good quality spray wax after each wash. That should do you for at least a couple of months.

Next, the advice of people will cut through the paint with a machine is a little naive. You should give advice on the types of machines to use. A rotary in the hands of an amateur isn't too smart but a good quality orbital sander with foam velcro backed buffing pads is completely safe. An orbital cannot generate enough heat to burn through paint. Unless you hold it on one spot for 5 minutes at max speed.

Telling people that old t-shirts are perfect is just wrong. You're likely to be putting in more scratches which may explain why you need to do it each week. Best thing to use is microfiber buffing pads or cloths.

If people want to learn about the detailing process there's a sticky in the 'General' section called 'Detailing Tip and Tricks'. Read what I have to say there or take to the sponsor 'Car Care Product.

think about what you saying...you are absolutely right. check detailing section to properly care for your car. i should have put brain in gear before putting some of that stuff on this forum. sorry.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Posted this in another thread

Hey guys, tried the search tab, but couldnt find what I was looking for.

My car is a VE SV6 in voodoo blue, it has paint protection. How long will it last and do I need to polish and wax it?? Also do I need to claybar it? I was under the impression that paint protection is essentially a stay on wax? Cheers guys.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Never polished my car. Mainly because I don't know the best way to go about it and I haven't really needed to just yet as it is mostly garaged. This thread has helped. Maybe I'll do it on the weekend.

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
I do mine once a week or if really dirty twice a week. The usual weekly wash, dry, polish and interior clean and the monthly extra polish protection followed by the ultra deep shine. If your wondering what brand it is the Autogylm range, the 3 step to protection and ultra shiney finish.

jphanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
not gonna comment on cleaning techniques, but you dont need to have a HSV or a 'special' model to have a really attractive car that many will notice.

how often have you noticed a base model car in mint condition drive past? if everyone elses is grubby and yours is sparkling, then you feel good about it. it doesnt cost much to keep in good nick, just a bit of effort. this is just an omega with caprice rims. enlarge it and see what i mean.

Last edited: