Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

polishing car- how ofter do you do it?

jphanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
you seen the title...how often do you do it? i do it once a week. i dont do it in 5 stages, just wash car, dry it, polish it with one application. i even polish my rims with same car polish. i have missed the odd week for extremly busy weekends, but i may miss 4 -6 weeks in a whole year.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Rarely. Once every 3 months if I'm up for it.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
prior to living on a dirt road i did my cars about every 3-4 weeks, now i probably do it once every 2 months, but a really good job, buff and hand

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
ive polished my car once in the year that ive had it, mite do it more often tho the silver really shines en looks great

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
As simple as it might be i still don't know how to do it properly, so i've never done it. But i use a wash and wax when i wash the car and it does a good job in making it shine.

jphanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
As simple as it might be i still don't know how to do it properly, so i've never done it. But i use a wash and wax when i wash the car and it does a good job in making it shine.

its not anything complicated. if you never polished it before then it may pay for you to get a cut and polish initially, use a sponge similar to ones you wash you car with (not the same one of course), and apply a little polish on it, then spread over a section of paint, then keep doing it until all the paint is covered in a FINE film of polish. (you dont have to bog it on). then get a few old rags (old tshirts perfect) and buff it off contantly turning rag over so an unsoiled part of rag rubs the polish off. becasue you never done it before the first time will require a lot of effort (good workout!) to get polish off. your paint wil look heaps better after this. you only should CUT and polish it once as it is very abrasive.

but you need to seal it so then you get normal polish (merguirs, turtle wax etc) and do the whole process again, but because this polish is not abrasive like cut and polish, it will be much easier to buff off.

you wont know your car once you done this....just make sure you use plenty of rags when buffing off or it wont shine properly if you use only one rag over large sections of the car.

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
its not anything complicated. if you never polished it before then it may pay for you to get a cut and polish initially, use a sponge similar to ones you wash you car with (not the same one of course), and apply a little polish on it, then spread over a section of paint, then keep doing it until all the paint is covered in a FINE film of polish. (you dont have to bog it on). then get a few old rags (old tshirts perfect) and buff it off contantly turning rag over so an unsoiled part of rag rubs the polish off. becasue you never done it before the first time will require a lot of effort (good workout!) to get polish off. your paint wil look heaps better after this. you only should CUT and polish it once as it is very abrasive.

but you need to seal it so then you get normal polish (merguirs, turtle wax etc) and do the whole process again, but because this polish is not abrasive like cut and polish, it will be much easier to buff off.

you wont know your car once you done this....just make sure you use plenty of rags when buffing off or it wont shine properly if you use only one rag over large sections of the car.

Thank's mate, thats good info. I just never really looked into it. I bought a buffer (the spinning thing) but had no idea on how to go about it.

jphanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA
Thank's mate, thats good info. I just never really looked into it. I bought a buffer (the spinning thing) but had no idea on how to go about it.

MATE DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOUR, AND DO IT BY HAND THE FIRST TIME. YOU WILL CUT THROUGH YOUR PAINT WITH A MACHINE!!!!!!

maybe later use the machine, once you know what you are doing. once you cut through....its respray time.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
we got nu-finish, once a year polish..havent done the vz yet but once i debadge it i will more then likely..and 1 step up from rags is polishing cloth/cheese cloth i think they call it..we always have it lying around because dad is fanatic about keeping his motorbike polished and clean